Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about auto

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Ok, what I want to know is, is it normal for the auto to shift slowly from 1st to second? Normal driving, it's pretty understated, but if you give her a bit of a kick (nothing to serious) she really dosent seem to want to shift up to second, sort of a delay in between gears.

Probably a silly question, but it's got me very curious.

By the by, down shifts arent an issue at all, she'll throw back a cog without any issue.

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
possible effect of the limiter in the computer perhaps, if you start driving your car hard it will adjust with slower gear changes, or so is my understanding

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Thanks for the quick answer! Anyone have any other ideas as well?

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
my vp does it aswell, if u give it a boot full it kinda streches first out pretty far then a slow change into second then all the other gears it just changes pretty fast.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i think it is to prevent chirping the wheels cos my vn clubsport never chirped but my vc does!

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Ok, so it is some form of torque reduction, makes sense, and certainly isnt as bad an answer as I was expecting. Thanks guys.

Emporer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8
erm i have found it depends how you drive it .... it can be abit slow to head for second at times but not unnecessarily.... and i find it does like stick to the lower gear and get the rev's up when booted.... i can also watch my fuel economy disapear ......

you wouldnt happen to have the power mode on by any chance? because that would cause it to hold the gear longer as if it were towing something

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Nope, never bother using the pwr button, not worth it when all the torque is produced at such a low range, somthing that is really noticible with the
Super6's.