Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question re timing chain fault codes - which is bank 1, and which is sensor B?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportwagon 3.0 International SIDI – and old Chevs.
He should have a scanner that will pick up any transmission errors as well. Doesnt mean its not the chains but at least you'll know.
Ja, he did scan and there was nothing re the transmission coming up. That's why I am a bit worried. With all that sophistication I just don't get how some of these mechanics have said that the timing chain issue can cause poor shift with the transmission and throw it (sometimes) into limp mode. I guess I will find out soon enough ... when the job is done! Will report back!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok ... it's back from the shop and feels different. Way less slipping, but still not 100% smooth trans shifts ... but that's maybe just the way a 150K unit will be.

Scan codes were: P0017, P0172, P0175.

Nairb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equippe
Ahh yes, the instant eerie silence except for the wind blowing past the windscreen, and the three illuminated idiot lights staring you in the face :help:

On the bright side though, a new alloy timing gear could be purchased and fitted before tea that night, and probably for less than the cost of the tow home.
I was lucky enough to work at GMH in the tool room.I made a set of straight cut timing gears for my 186 ,no hassles with them just the whirring noise that turned a few heads

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok ... it's back from the shop and feels different. Way less slipping, but still not 100% smooth trans shifts ... but that's maybe just the way a 150K unit will be.

Scan codes were: P0017, P0172, P0175.

A couple of weeks in ...

Timing chain is all good – no engine lights coming on.

BUT the trans is still slipping ... between 3 and 4. On change it feels unengaged, revision a bit (feels like slipping) and then clunks into gear. This is intermittent ... and nothing in particular prompts it – can happen with regular, gentle driving as anything else (like hills, speed etc.)

I took it back to the trans shop and they test drive it with me. Typically, they could not get it to slip the way it can for me, but they did recognise a slight slip ... not enough to warrant any work. And they put the scanner to it and it all came up clear.

NOW ... this all started immediately after a trans service that included a solenoid replacement – and everybody said the slipping was associated with the timing chain issue and the correlation codes etc.

The guy at the trans shop said it would be expensive to do anything ... meaning as soon as the box is open to fix anything, you may as well go through the whole thing. :p

And btw, mechanic who did the timing chain repair reported back that they sense the trans slip when test driving after the timing chain work.

Tips welcome.

vee-y

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Commodore sedan
jut curious what the cost was to get your timing chains done and how long it took them to do the job

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Normally gets done in a day around 1K.Some shops want you to supply coolant,oil and filter.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Wagon 2010 3.0 SIDI
Where is the P0017 cam position sensor located ? Im thinking of swapping it out.

Did you ever get a solution to this? I have a vehicle doing the same thing. Drives great. P0017 only comes on when the car is started. Can clear the code with the engine running and the it doesnt come back until engine turned off and back on again after sitting for a bit. With the code cleared you would never know anything is wrong.