Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question re timing chain fault codes - which is bank 1, and which is sensor B?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
deleted

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportwagon 3.0 International SIDI – and old Chevs.
Interesting.

Re my 09 VE, I had the engine light come on and my mechanic put his scanner to it and reset. Same happened again and so on. Code was say an cam sensor error ... but would not isolate which one. But he said since it was just one and not all four it would be a faulty sensor and not the timing chain.

Fast forward and I had a trans service and needed a solenoid replaced.

A month later I could hear the ticking of gear changes and also sometimes they were not smooth – like before I had the trans service. So it went back to the trans shop and they put their scanner on it and came up with the P0017 error ... indicating the timing chain and the cam/crank correlation issue. And said the 'stuck in 2 thing' was because it was being put into limp mode.

What do people make of this?

Am I up for a $2.4K reco or is this maybe just a dud sensor?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Maybe you need to remove the chain timing covers and have a look and feel at the chains

You could also swap sensors from left to right and see if the problem follows the sensor. If it follows the sensor then it's a sensor problem.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe you need to remove the chain timing covers and have a look and feel at the chains

You could also swap sensors from left to right and see if the problem follows the sensor. If it follows the sensor then it's a sensor problem.

Thanks, syked. Definitely swapping the sensors over is a good call – even if I suggest that to the Holden guys when doing their diagnostics.

Tell me:

1. Is a not-so-smooth gear change a symptom of above, or completely unrelated?
2. How does 'limp mode' work in these cars and is that also an effect from this P0017 code?

Cheers

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
@johnonetrillion
1) probably unrelated. That sounds more of a transmission issue and as a starting point I would get that serviced...new filter and oil.

2) limp mode is a symptom of a problem not a cause of the problem. i.e car can go into limp mode as a result of a stretched timing chain or any other serious issue but the limp mode won't cause these issues.

The car will go onto limp mode to prevent further damage to components.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks.

Trans was serviced a month back, including replace faulty solenoid.

I think I will take it to Rd'S and get them to diagnose with proper scan tool ... and if they pick up a trans error at the same time I will go back and have that sorted separately.

Reaction score
Members Ride
@johnonetrillion
1) probably unrelated. That sounds more of a transmission issue and as a starting point I would get that serviced...new filter and oil.

2) limp mode is a symptom of a problem not a cause of the problem. i.e car can go into limp mode as a result of a stretched timing chain or any other serious issue but the limp mode won't cause these issues.

The car will go onto limp mode to prevent further damage to components.

Good to know (1) re being unrelated issues – I could not figure any connection. And (2) yes, I figured it would hit limp mode of it sensed something like a back timing chain. So far, it has only done it a couple of times (over several months) and only then for a very short time.

Just interested, though: Original scan showed that just a single cam sensor was indicating – not all four. Does this indicate a faulty sensor more than the timing chain? (As in, would a faulty timing chain fire off all four sensors?)

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
It's hard to say. You definitely could have a stretched timing chain problem on just 1 bank but you could also just have a sensor problem.

Try swapping the sensors on that bank and see if the issue follows the sensor or stays on the original location

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crunch day today – 6 months later!

The car is with a local mechanic to have the timing chain swapped out – has done plenty of these and is using original GM kit.

Ralph d'Silva did a reading and confirmed the timing chain needed replacing – and the car previously had the change in settings to allow further stretch without the warning light coming on (a common fix, apparently). Their reading said it was the timing chain, nothing else.

Recently driving had seen the gear change slip a bit, and occasionally going into limp mode – all the time the engine warning light has been on. And it was the slipping that got me moving on the repair sooner than later.

I spoke with the mechanic this morning and he said that the car delivers errors only for the timing chain, not the trans. And that anything that is wrong with the trans is not related to the timing chain, either functionally or via sensors. But he agreed to check the trans fluids etc. before road testing after his work is done.

Has anyone else experienced these sorts of issues together? Would be good to pass on any advice to the mechanic while he has it – next two days.

Am dreading getting the car back and the trans is still slipping ... and the service guys go blaming someone/thing else.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
He should have a scanner that will pick up any transmission errors as well. Doesnt mean its not the chains but at least you'll know.