Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question regarding possible license suspension and the double or nothing option

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Lucky you, hopefully I share in your luck. I’m waiting for my day of reckoning now as I went past a speed camera van on the Ipswich Motorway doing 100kph when the cnut who controls the signs always makes everyone do 60kph for no reason.

Fingers crossed that the camera van is only set at the actual motorway speed and not what some cnut in a control room says you should do.
Funny thing happened on the Ipswich motorway a few years ago.
We had cruised from the Sunny coast to the drags and a couple of weeks later got a letter saying our car had been filmed on the motorway and was not registered.
No fine for unregistered, just the letter.
Checked we had paid it on time but one digit was incorrect.
Took about 3 weeks and a number of phone calls to sort it.
Had to pay the rego again then chased Transport to return the original payment.
They said they did not have it, Bank said they have it, they just don't know where it is.
Got the Bank to get the funds back then sent Transport a nasty letter demanding they credit the paid on time discount
which they did.
Love it when things work out.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Lucky you, hopefully I share in your luck. I’m waiting for my day of reckoning now as I went past a speed camera van on the Ipswich Motorway doing 100kph when the cnut who controls the signs always makes everyone do 60kph for no reason.

Fingers crossed that the camera van is only set at the actual motorway speed and not what some cnut in a control room says you should do.

Don't quote me, but I'm fairly sure they're set at the normal limit of the road, not some random cnut changeable limit...

Is it normal for them to set cameras up on that stretch, due to people having a heavy right foot, at 100 KPH? If so, that would be another indication of the van being set at 100 KPH limit

Hopefully you don't get that piece of mail

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Don't quote me, but I'm fairly sure they're set at the normal limit of the road, not some random cnut changeable limit...

Is it normal for them to set cameras up on that stretch, due to people having a heavy right foot, at 100 KPH? If so, that would be another indication of the van being set at 100 KPH limit

Hopefully you don't get that piece of mail
They don’t normally put cameras on the inbound side in the mornings, presumably because they would get less revenue because of the slower traffic speeds, mostly because of the idiot in the control room artificially slowing the traffic down.

They normally put the camera vans on the inbound side in the afternoon, when most of the traffic is headed outbound to maximise their revenue. They will even stack camera vans one after the other within a couple of kms of each other to catch people twice or to catch people who see the first camera and then think its safe to speed up!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn’t get a fine either. I guess the camera was set at 100kph and not the 60kph temporary speed limit.

jianakn

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2015 VF Redline manual
Hi

Long story short, I’m pretty sure I got done for speeding down south while driving a few days ago.

Only thing is I’m not sure what speed I was doing when I spotted the tale tale signs of a white Iszue Ute parked well hidden inside the bush (but didn’t spot where the camera was placed), this was later confirmed by some speed camera location posts from Facebook that stated there was a camera placed around that area.

I have a fuzzy memory of looking down the speedo when I spotted the Ute and it was around 130-140, depending on what the actual speed is, it’s either a 6 or 12 demerit points (double demerits).

From what I understand reading the WA dpi site, once you pay your fine from the mail, and if it totalled 12 points or more, you will be send another letter regarding demerit points been 12 (or over) and you need to go to the license centre regarding it and at the same time can adopt to do the “double or nothing thing”?

This that correct?

Thanks.

Okay, WAPOL used to deduct to 2 Kph from the detected speed........ I know that from personal experience.

Double demerits during holidays ..... fairly explanatory......... you can check your demerit points online.

1677225328577.png

Double or nothing suspension in WA......... 1 point + Good Behaviour period for 12 months.

Depending on how many points you have racked up...... the initial suspension is 3 months..........

If you lose that 1 point in the 12 month period....... the 3 months doubles to 6 months plus any other penalty (fine) the court hands down.

You are better off sitting it out.......... at the end of the 3 months, you are back on 12 points........there is no 3 year period waiting for the points to renew.

Go get yourself a FIFO gig for 3 months where you won't need to drive..........

Southwest Highway......... the inland one that runs through Pinjarra (?) or the Forest Highway between Perth and Bunbury (?).

There is another road between Thomas Road and Pinjarra Road......... that is not well traveled......... not a bad road......... brings you out near the caravan park on Pinjarra Road........ Kargotich Road ......Rapids Road..........

You really don't need to travel from Perth down South using either main road........ there is a route between the two that is not used a lot........ I just cannot remember how far down it goes and where it comes out......... most of it is a straight piece of road through farmland with an occasional jink.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Double demerits during holidays ..... fairly explanatory.........
And complete BS. How’s an offence twice as bad because you did it on a public holiday?

Here in QLD we have double demerits on holidays and double demerit points for repeat offenders!

Just having double demerits for repeat offenders would be fairer as at least you could argue that the double demerits are justified to reduce risks from repeat offenders.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/fines/demerit/double

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And complete BS. How’s an offence twice as bad because you did it on a public holiday?

Here in QLD we have double demerits on holidays and double demerit points for repeat offenders!

Just having double demerits for repeat offenders would be fairer as at least you could argue that the double demerits are justified to reduce risks from repeat offenders.

If the concept of double demerit (and thus a suspension of license for offences that don’t normally have such a punishment attached) had any merit they’d apply such logic to more severe criminal cases like theft, aggravated assault, murder, etc.

Unfortunately even such repeat criminal offenders don’t get punished more because they stole your presents from under your Christmas tree or beat you up and put you in hospital Christmas Eve :mad:

Yep, double demerit system is complete BS (which makes one wonder whether there is more money in it for the grubbyment) :rolleyes:

jianakn

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2015 VF Redline manual

I take it that you have not lived in WA?

1. Most of the Western Australian population live between Perth and Mandurah ....... about 50 km south.

2. 125 kph is about the average 'cruising speed' of every second 4 wheel drive once you get out of Perth........ excluding the Grey Army.

3. It is a very different kind of redneckery over that way compared to the East Coast.

4. Perth's weekend destination is Margaret River and its winery district 270km...... To get there, you drive through 4 towns........ more correctly, you skirt the edge of 2 and drive through two small villages called Cowramup and Vasse.......these are near the Margaret River end of the road. The rest of the time, you are driving through sparsely populated areas..... a lot of it on divided roads.

5. Once you get inland from the west coast....... there is even less people........... but a lot of decently paved roads.

6. Without needing to get my head bitten off ........ many drivers over that way appear to consider 110 kph 'advisory' or a 'recommendation'

7. The speeding fines have only increased in the last couple of years....... it used to be $50 and no points for <9kph..... $150 and 2 points < 19kph.

8. People figured out how the cameras work.... when the computer makes the decision to capture the speed and take the photograph........ the camera vans can only set up in an 'approved location'........ it takes an 'authorised' risk management plan....... which is why they are often parked up in the same spots all the time over that way. ..... this was very common knowledge on FIFO projects.

Double points over that way tended to calm things down a bit.

Edit..... just on crime in general......... the average cost to keep somebody in jail is about $300 to $400 a day........ I have also read around $62,000 a year per person. There are approximately 30,000 in custody on any given day in Australia........

The Governments would rather have them 'paying off' fines than spending money to keep them locked up........where ever possible......... many criminal actions such as burglaries are theoretically covered by insurance..... your house gets ransacked.... you claim it on your insurance....... your car gets stolen....... you claim it on your insurance.

That is why the courts aren't interested in locking people up and throwing the key away over relatively minor stuff........ I think manslaughter only works out to be around 4 years nowadays in some parts of the country. Sometimes less with good behaviour or a person with a minor record.

Last edited: