Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question regarding possible license suspension and the double or nothing option

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Hi

Long story short, I’m pretty sure I got done for speeding down south while driving a few days ago.

Only thing is I’m not sure what speed I was doing when I spotted the tale tale signs of a white Iszue Ute parked well hidden inside the bush (but didn’t spot where the camera was placed), this was later confirmed by some speed camera location posts from Facebook that stated there was a camera placed around that area.

I have a fuzzy memory of looking down the speedo when I spotted the Ute and it was around 130-140, depending on what the actual speed is, it’s either a 6 or 12 demerit points (double demerits).

From what I understand reading the WA dpi site, once you pay your fine from the mail, and if it totalled 12 points or more, you will be send another letter regarding demerit points been 12 (or over) and you need to go to the license centre regarding it and at the same time can adopt to do the “double or nothing thing”?

This that correct?

Thanks.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have a fuzzy memory of looking down the speedo when I spotted the Ute and it was around 130-140, depending on what the actual speed is, it’s either a 6 or 12 demerit points (double demerits).
From https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/road-safety-commission/speeding

Km/h over the speed limitPenaltyDemerits
Not more than 9 km/h$1000
More than 9km/h but not more than 19 km/h$2002
More than 19 km/h but not more than 29 km/h$4003
More than 29 km/h but not more than 40 km/h$8006
More than 40 km/h$12007

And they are sticklers for how they count the numbers because I suspect they‘ll say that 130 kph is more than 29 kph over the 100 kph limit or 140 kph is more than 39 kph over the limit.

Really, its the detected speed that is real important.

So it’s best to wait for the ticket to arrive so you can see what the detected speed was and what error allowance they’ve knocked off that reading. Only them will you know what the normal fine will be. And if you’re in the double demerit period, well then you’ll know whether it is 3*2, 6*2 or 7*2.

If you’re lucky, your speedo error (they almost always read more than your actual road speed) along with the error allowance may put you in a much better stance where you don’t have to worry about the double or nothing good behaviour period (roll the dice probation as I call it) :rolleyes:

Figuratively, your just better to wait by the letter box for that fine to come and then you’ll know :p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

More than 40 km/h$12007

And they are sticklers for how they count the numbers because I suspect they‘ll say that 130 kph is more than 29 kph over the 100 kph limit or 140 kph is more than 39 kph over the limit.

So it’s best to wait for the ticket to arrive so you can see what the detected speed was and what error allowance they’ve knocked off that reading. Only them will you know what the normal fine will be. And if you’re in the double demerit period, well then you’ll know whether it is 3*2, 6*2 or 7*2.

If you’re lucky, your speedo error (they almost always read more than your actual road speed) along with the error allowance may put you in a much better stance where you don’t have to worry about the double or nothing good behaviour period (roll the dice probation as I call it) :rolleyes:

Figuratively, your just better to wait by the letter box for that fine to come and then you’ll know :p
Depending on where down south @Mayuri Krab was, it is likely a 110 zone.

Also, it could be a long wait by the letter box.....they take their time issuing fines over here.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES

More than 40 km/h$12007

Cheers for the info, this waiting sucks, I rather know up front how much I was over (if a cop was there and just wrote me a ticket on the spot) so I can plan what to do next, not knowing sucks.

It was a 110 zone near a overtaking lane down South west highway, I’m somewhat hoping the speedo will help somewhat, I was driving my other car (Mitsubishi 380) at the time and I know that car’s speedometer over-reads by a lot, 120 indicated is barley over 110 (112-113) according to gps/Waze.

Guess I should be thankful that WA don’t have straight auto license suspension for going something like 25-30 over like some eastern states (besides getting hoon lawed).

Depending on where down south @Mayuri Krab was, it is likely a 110 zone.

Also, it could be a long wait by the letter box.....they take their time issuing fines over here.

Yeah it was a 110 zone down South West highway.

Oh man this long wait is gonna suck…

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yep waiting sucks and really you shouldn’t have to wait. But I really dislike waiting for another reason.

If you don't pay enough attention to your speed (not good) and what’s hiding by the side of the road (even worse), then you can gather a collection of speeding offences in a very short time without even knowing it… Then when the paper work catches up to you, you loose your license without having had the opportunity to learn of your misdeeds and correct your behaviour before the fact.

Taking weeks to process an offence under the criminal code reeks of injustice. After all, justice delayed is justice denied.

If it was really about road safety, there would be one camera car that pings you and processes the fine on the spot with a display car further down the road flashing your rego and the speed fine you just got on a big screen. But such immediate response to an offence may actually result in immediate behavioural change and thus a reduction of revenue, i mean revenue, no really I mean revenue… bloody big brother… Can’t have revenue reductions :p

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Regardless of the fine, if it is like S.A, you can apply for a licence where you have 1 point (I think) for 12 months...This enables you to keep your licence...

Down side is, you loose that point in that period, your licence suspension is double what it would have been, if you had taken that option...

The option comes out once the fine is paid and it actually hits the system.....

I haven't read the link posted up, but I'd suspect that's how it works...

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
wouldn't stress if you have a full license. it'll likely be $800 & 6 points. hopefully lesson learned

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
wouldn't stress if you have a full license. it'll likely be $800 & 6 points. hopefully lesson learned
only $800 & 6 points, it couldn't be worse

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Being double demerit, it'll be $600 and 12 points, not the 6 being mentioned, if the speed is inbetween the 29KM and 40KM over mark....

OP mentioned it in the very first post of this thread, the double demerit part (End of 3rd paragraph)