Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions about 2 not so common VN's.....

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Questions about not so common VN's.....

Hey guys, i have a few questions about a couple of different VN's that seem to be getting around.

Yesterday i saw a white VN, had a VN SS kit on it, was a 5 litre, but the decals on the bootlip said "SPLUS" and not "SS". How is this different to an ss in the ways of interior, power, body, and general specs?

Also the VN+6's, SV3800's and the SV5000's..... how are they different to a normal VN exec in the same ways as mentioned above??

(sorry, that's more than 2 VN's, but you still can't seem to edit headings)

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
taken from performance forums -
vn 6+
100 Built March - August 1991
60 Auto / 40 Manual

It was a Melbourne Motor Show "show special" car only that HSV built for Holden.
It was built following the prior 1990 "8 Plus" as a V6 due to the Gulf crisis and rapidly rising fuel costs.

loosely based on the Commodore S, it had a share of SS and HSV SV3800 and HSV Clubsport bits added to it.. (ie, SV3800 body kit, SS alloy Wheels, Clubsport Grille)

As for Engine / Gearbox....
Sadly, it was left stock - as a contract build for Holden, there were no engine/gearbox enhancements - 125kW / 292Nm
Manual - 5 Spd T5 Borg Warner
Auto - 4 Spd Turbo Hydramatic 700
LSD - 3.08:1
Suspension - standard FE2 Spec.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
So the +6 is just a factory stock V6 VN with a HSV kit and different paint from the exec / berlina range?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Not an SPLUS was a 8PLUS. Was basically a HSV enhanced *shudders* white VN SS. Different wheels, trim and 180i package.
SV5000 differs in that its based on the Berlina platform, so scores the lvl3 dash, climate (not all SV5000), etc. On top of that it had performance brakes, HSV trim, red engine package (200kw), etc, etc

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I'll post full details in the morning Cobez.

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Im told the +6 has the SV3800 engine but that it puts out 132kw. Whats the go? I get alot of contradictory information about it.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Im told the +6 has the SV3800 engine but that it puts out 132kw. Whats the go? I get alot of contradictory information about it.

The SV3800 has a stock engine, power just comes from a 'big bore exhaust' and tune as far as I know.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Not an SPLUS was a 8PLUS. Was basically a HSV enhanced *shudders* white VN SS. Different wheels, trim and 180i package.
SV5000 differs in that its based on the Berlina platform, so scores the lvl3 dash, climate (not all SV5000), etc. On top of that it had performance brakes, HSV trim, red engine package (200kw), etc, etc

Ahhhh, 8plus, it was a few cars down so i assumed it said Splus. But yes, white isn't the nicest colour for VN SS's. In fact it's haggard. So i'm guessing it just ran a HSV tune........

It sounds like the SV5000 was quite a nice little HSV package!!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ahhhh, 8plus, it was a few cars down so i assumed it said Splus. But yes, white isn't the nicest colour for VN SS's. In fact it's haggard. So i'm guessing it just ran a HSV tune........

It sounds like the SV5000 was quite a nice little HSV package!!
HSV VN 8 Plus
*80 built
*180kw package. Dual exhaust, SV5000 CAI, tune, knock sensor, modded auto
*SS body kit with addition of SV3800 single slot grill and 8 plus decals
*SS trim with addition of momo leather steering wheel and SV seat bolsters
*Was the first white SS used to gauge public reaction to the colour

HSV VN SV5000
*60 Rose Grey, 291 SV racing green, 4 Ruby red, 3 Imperial blue and 1 Alpine white
*200kw package. Flat top pistons, different cam, bigger valves and upgraded valve springs, knock sensor, CAI, extractors and twin exhaust, tune and different throttle body (don't know what is different).
*Group A spec brakes
*Larger sway bars
*VL width rear track
*Trim is standard berlina with the addition of a 7 band graphic equalizer and elec aerial, Howe leather bolstered seats, momo steering wheel, calais alarm system, lvl 3 dash, elec mirrors, cruise, elec windows, central locking.
*Was available in auto only

This is a very brief description because im lazy and can't be assed typing more:p