Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions in need of answers!

_Leon_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Preferably a VE (SSV) Ute
Hi everyone!

Nick from Sweden here! I am a Swedish- Australian living in Sweden (I usually refer to my self as a "SwAussie"). During the past 15 years I have off and on thought about the enticing prospect of shipping a Ute from Oz to Sweden. Until recently the idea has only been on a "thinking about it"-basis, but during the last two or three weeks the idea has infested itself in my head like a virus. It has, in fact, become something of a small obsession to be honest.

Obviously legalizing a RHD car into a country with LHD traffic is tricky business to say the least, but it is being done now and again with Supras, Skylines and other Japanese "Jing-Jing"-cars.
However, a Australian Ute does not, to my knowledge, exist in the Swedish Registry Database and I feel up for the challenge :boxing:. If it were to be done, a fair few heads wold turn, more than once.

I have discussed the whole idea with the Swedish Department of Transportation, the Registration Office, the Holden customer service in Australia and a few aftermarket shops both in the USA and Australia.

For the car to pass the registration process certain (read a lot!) criteria need to be met. And for this I need information and so far I have only received bits and pieces from the above parties.
Instead I turn to you, dear Holden drivers, for assistance.

The planed import is a 2008-2010 Holden SSV (VE) UTE (I'll discuss he 2008-2010 choice in depth later on).

Question 1:
Some of the criteria is that it has to be totally, to the bone, stock equipment. Another criteria is the exhaust system and this is where I need your help.
What type of catalytic converter are used on these cars? Are they 2-way or 3-way catalytic converters?

Question 2:
Headlights. RHD cars and LHD traffic do not mix very well and would result in total chaos and crashing in the opposite lane due to blinding as I believe you use RHD ECE style headlights in Australia right?
Source: http://www.retrofitlab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DOT-ECE-cutoff.jpg
To my knowledge there are no manufacturers of LHD ECE style headlight that fit a 2008-2010 Holden Ute.

However, the American Pontiac G8 (which is truthfully a Holden VE Commodore) are a perfect match mechanically, but do they work the same in the electrical sense? (Apart from the fact that they have American DOT-style lighting). No bulbs doing several tasks? (I realize that is a tricky question)

Question 3:
Tail lights. I suspect that Australian standards are more like European than they are American when it comes to layout, colors and function of the tail lights?

* Daytime running lights in red,
* Braking lights in red,
* Separate bulb for turning signals in either orange bulb or behind orange glass/plastic
* Rear fog lights
* Reg.plate lights

That will have to do for now.

I truly thank you for taking the time to read through and possibly answer one or more of my questions!

Best Regards
Nick form Sweden

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
I remember reading that they were selling the ute in USA as an el camino. Have you looked into that option? LHD and would probably be cheaper than an OZ car?

decromin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
I think you would be fine with the rear light clusters - they don't change them for the UK models they've exported, so I suspect there would be no issues there. All the colour/bulb requirements you listed are correct. The one thing that the AU spec cars do not have are a rear facing fog light. You can see in this thread that the UK sedans have an additional light mounted at the bottom of the rear diffuser: Rear Fog Lamp - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

_Leon_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi!

I read that the G8 Ute, or "Pontiac G8 ST (sport truck) got cancelled at the last minute and only G8 sedans made it over the pond.
If you have more information about the El Camino "Longman" please share =)

Yes "decromin", I believe you are correct. Aussies have the same setup as the Britts and they obide by the EU standards. So in the tail light department I apear to be "All Good"! =)

No one sitting on some catalytic converter information?
That's the last piece of the puzzle at this stage in time.

_Leon_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi!

I got hold of a service station in Parramatta and I gave him a VIN# from a Ute for sale. Apparently 3-way catalytic converters are mounted wich is great news! =)

Another question concerning the headlight package. The VE series covers the period 2006-2013. Are the headlights the same over the whole period or have they been changed over the years? In other words:

Will a 2008-2010 Pontiac G8 headlight fit a 2006-2013 VE Hodlen or am I stuck with the 2008-2010 cars?

BR
Nick

shinc

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE II SV6 Sportwagon
Hi!

I got hold of a service station in Parramatta and I gave him a VIN# from a Ute for sale. Apparently 3-way catalytic converters are mounted wich is great news! =)

Another question concerning the headlight package. The VE series covers the period 2006-2013. Are the headlights the same over the whole period or have they been changed over the years? In other words:

Will a 2008-2010 Pontiac G8 headlight fit a 2006-2013 VE Hodlen or am I stuck with the 2008-2010 cars?

BR
Nick

I know the series 1 and 2 are different in Aus.s1= 2006-early2010 and s2= late2010-2013

The Australia headlights changed slightly in shape between the series

_Leon_

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know the series 1 and 2 are different in Aus.s1= 2006-early2010 and s2= late2010-2013

The Australia headlights changed slightly in shape between the series

Thank you! So to be on the safe side I should stick to the 2006-2009 models.

shinc

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE II SV6 Sportwagon
Be your best bet. If that's the way you're going

_Leon_

Reaction score
Members Ride
It has been 7 years, and I feel it’s time to breath some life into this thread.

I wish I could say that I now have a Ute, but unfortunately I don’t. However there is a company in the USofA called “Left Hand Drive Utes” that ship late model Utes from Australia and convert them in the states. I contacted them no less than 3 times inquiring paperwork information, shipping etc but they didn’t feel the need to respond. So f’ em. I’ll do it myself I thought.

It would seem that they use a Chevrolet SS donor car? Would that be right? If that is the case, several new doors are opening and I’m not stuck with only the VE s1 option?

So, my idea now is to get hold of a Ute in Australia and it’s wrecked SS counterpart from a salvage yard in the US.

I didn’t know about the SS counterpart until quite recently so I’m not sure what years and models would make a swap like this possible. Does anyone have a better overview of this?

If I were to get hold of a Ute and it’s donor car, what parts are crucial to get with the donor car? The things that come to mind are pedals and the entire dash and steering wheel? What about the firewall and things bolted to it on the engine compartment side?

Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

BR
Nick

PS. A funny side note. Since I started this thread I have moved to a new city in Sweden in 2015. This summer, I came across this beast. Apparently it lives not 5k’s away from me .

Attachments

• F4EBB302-059F-487E-BD98-94F185BE7EFE.jpeg
    F4EBB302-059F-487E-BD98-94F185BE7EFE.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 94

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I didn’t know about the SS counterpart until quite recently so I’m not sure what years and models would make a swap like this possible.

Chev SS is VF model in Aus.

Also, you need to track down the owner of the ute and pick their brains as to how they went about it.