Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Questions/Teething Issues - VE SV6 Ute 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hey Guys,

I've just acquired a VE SV6 2008 Ute, with around 100,000kms on it and just have a few quick questions about a couple of things I have noticed.

• Airbag Light comes on at start up and it 'beeps' seven times before switching off. Is this normal?
  • There is a high pitched noise coming from the engine and a clicking noise when the engine is turned off. The high pitched noise sounds like what a fuel pump does when it engages. Any thoughts on what that could be?
  • Does anyone know what the attached plug is for? I found it when I was poking around the engine bay - It looks like it comes from down near the radiator but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Also what sort of oil do you use for the differential and manual transmission. When looking it up in the Castrol book it said 'Refer to GM'?
  • In the last attached image of the oil cover you can see marks on the inside of it - I'm guessing it looks like oil hasn'tbeen getting there or something like that? Is anyone elses the same and should I be worried about it?

Thanks in advance - It is much appreciated.

Cheers
Luke

20140107_180004.jpg20140107_175958 (Copy).jpg20131230_150827 (Copy).jpg

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Yeah the airbag warning should come on at startup, as should all warning lights. This is part of the test to make sure the warning lights are working. Only a problem if they stay on, or don't light up at all.
The beeps are part of the self test of the car. Annoying as hell for the first month or two, but then your brain will just tune it out. (well was for me)

Not sure about the high pitched noise you're talking about, could it be the drive belt giving a little squeal as the drive pulley stops but inertia on the other pulleys causes a tiny slip against the belt? Would only be a fraction of a second if that's it. I think mine gives a little chirp. Or might have at one stage, if it did it's another case of me tuning out the noise.
Clicking - yeah it does a lot of that. Opening/closing of vents etc. It'll do a bit of clicking again ten minutes or so later as well.

Not sure on the plug, I just took a look at mine (sedan though) and the only plugs in that area look to be one that goes to the fan, one to the lights, one for the bonnet latch, and one that goes to a little box in front of the radiator. I assume it could be an external temperature sensor maybe? I couldn't find any that weren't plugged in. That odd box thing only has two wires going into the plug, rather not unplug it to see if it looks the same as it looks like a bugger to get on and off. But mine has yellow wrap around the wires, not black. Wires are green and grey. The bonnet latch has 3 wires, one which is orange with a black stripe, so might be that one. This is on the alloytec engine, might be different if you've got a sidi. I'd ask what colours all the wires are to check against the wiring diagrams, but Rossi still has my manual.

Oils - I'd tell you if Rossi ever gives my manual back. :p Is it in the owner's book at all?

Last image - NFI, need someone with some actual knowledge.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Yeah the airbag warning should come on at startup, as should all warning lights. This is part of the test to make sure the warning lights are working. Only a problem if they stay on, or don't light up at all.
The beeps are part of the self test of the car. Annoying as hell for the first month or two, but then your brain will just tune it out. (well was for me)

Not sure about the high pitched noise you're talking about, could it be the drive belt giving a little squeal as the drive pulley stops but inertia on the other pulleys causes a tiny slip against the belt? Would only be a fraction of a second if that's it. I think mine gives a little chirp. Or might have at one stage, if it did it's another case of me tuning out the noise.
Clicking - yeah it does a lot of that. Opening/closing of vents etc. It'll do a bit of clicking again ten minutes or so later as well.

Not sure on the plug, I just took a look at mine (sedan though) and the only plugs in that area look to be one that goes to the fan, one to the lights, one for the bonnet latch, and one that goes to a little box in front of the radiator. I assume it could be an external temperature sensor maybe? I couldn't find any that weren't plugged in. That odd box thing only has two wires going into the plug, rather not unplug it to see if it looks the same as it looks like a bugger to get on and off. But mine has yellow wrap around the wires, not black. Wires are green and grey. The bonnet latch has 3 wires, one which is orange with a black stripe, so might be that one. This is on the alloytec engine, might be different if you've got a sidi. I'd ask what colours all the wires are to check against the wiring diagrams, but Rossi still has my manual.

Oils - I'd tell you if Rossi ever gives my manual back. :p Is it in the owner's book at all?

Last image - NFI, need someone with some actual knowledge.

Hey mate

Thanks so much for your informative and well explained reply - it is much appreciated and has put my mind at ease re: the chirp and airbag light on startup as I thought there must of been something wrong.

I asked the old man about the clicking in the engine bay and high pitched noise and he said it sounds like its something to do with the fuel injection and most probably is normal.

Thanks for the info about those plugs - I will have a look tomorrow ad see what I can find.

Hahah and all good about the last image of the oil cap - I'll wait till someone else replys.

Thanks again mate and rep is given.

Cheers

SammyD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Sedan
Don't worry about the marks in the filter housing. That's normal, it's just a really rough casting. Oh, forgot to add, I wouldn't be too worried about the noise when you shut down the engine. My VZ used to do the same thing.

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
Hi mate,

Ive got a 2010 ute and it makes the same sound the high pitch sound and click apparently its the electric throtle something and is perfectly normal most do it, Im pretty sure there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Don't worry about the marks in the filter housing. That's normal, it's just a really rough casting. Oh, forgot to add, I wouldn't be too worried about the noise when you shut down the engine. My VZ used to do the same thing.

Thanks mate - makes me feel much better haha - appreciate the response

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hi mate,

Ive got a 2010 ute and it makes the same sound the high pitch sound and click apparently its the electric throtle something and is perfectly normal most do it, Im pretty sure there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Thanks mate - Appreciate the response. Thanks for putting the mind at ease lol

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Got another couple of questions that you guys may be able to help me out with:

• Do you know where you can source aftermarket rear bar and tailgates for the VE's? Auto Parts Group only go up to VZ. Any thoughts?
• Got a bad glovebox rattle lol. Anyone have any little tips on how to fix it?
• When driving along you can sometimes hear a squeek on the RHS behind my head. Sounds like its in the little half window or something. Anyone have the same thing happen?
• When I turn on the air con, the motor starts running real rough and noisy. Ill try upload a recording as that may help a little more. But has anyone's VE do this?
• Will this coolant be fine to use in it: http://www.getcarbitz.com.au/uploads/products/e89/89598/images_large/LL5.jpg

Cheers
Luke

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Also can you fit a cabin filter to the ute if it wasnt optioned with one? Is it as easy as going and buying the filter and putting it in? When i was looking it up on the Ryco site, it didnt show a filter for the UTE but did for the SEDAN. Anyone know why?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.