Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quick advice on purchasing car. Need to make decision tonight asap

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Hi All,

Long story short. Have owned VE's before so very familiar with pros and cons. I'm upgrading to a VF SV6 wagon and by fluke have come across someone who is about to trade theirs in (friend of a friend type situation) and I gave him a low offer to which he accepted (slightly higher than his trade in price). The car has full service history, 2013 model series 1, 150,000kms (higher than average but not a concern as his wife drives 100km + per day of freeway driving etc.

What issues should I be aware of to look at on the car (going to inspect it properly again tonight) to see if there are any concerns? I know the mechanicals are reliable but have heard of issues with climate control etc. Any quick tips before I go make a decision in a few hrs. A decision has to be made tonight...

Thanks in advance!!!

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi All,

Long story short. Have owned VE's before so very familiar with pros and cons. I'm upgrading to a VF SV6 wagon and by fluke have come across someone who is about to trade theirs in (friend of a friend type situation) and I gave him a low offer to which he accepted (slightly higher than his trade in price). The car has full service history, 2013 model series 1, 150,000kms (higher than average but not a concern as his wife drives 100km + per day of freeway driving etc.

What issues should I be aware of to look at on the car (going to inspect it properly again tonight) to see if there are any concerns? I know the mechanicals are reliable but have heard of issues with climate control etc. Any quick tips before I go make a decision in a few hrs. A decision has to be made tonight...

Thanks in advance!!!
Go with your gut. All cars have little niggles here and there. If you know the history, go for it. My 2c anyway.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
What's the story?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
service history better than 15000km oil changes

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
150000kms. You need to check everything. Don't care if it's run on the Highway. Mechanical components don't stop wearing out because you run the vehicle on the Highway and I will bet the car has had nothing better than the minimum 15000 km service intervals and engine oil changes. If so there will be lots of sludge in that engine by now.

If changing your car for a used one find one in good condition with low kms. Pay more for a much better low km example. 2013/14 VF 6 cyl have already taken heavy depreciation regardless of kms.

Don't buy 150000 km cars.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
I don't agree with you. At all.
I see in my line of work cars and motorbike daily.
A clean running country car with 15K service interval is ok. If running Synthetic even better if serviced by a good private workshop that you know better again.
I have had many commodores and 150ks is not a lot. Sludge build up will be different on a car running most case at 80-km/h to a traffic light to traffic light car.

Yes check Pulleys for noise check for error codes check Oil level. Some use oil.
Do a major service. Brakes bleed, coolant flush new plugs, oil filter air filter and enjoy,pads/rotors. ( $800 if you do yourself) with quality or genuine parts.

If you don't get 250ks+ without starting to spend money I would be surprised.

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
I ended up buying it. To good a deal to pass up on. Has had service every 10,000km at Holden. One owner, he is a meticulous bloke. The car is in mint condition.
The only thing I will need to do to in coming up is 4 new tyres.