Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator leaking, side tanks help?

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
Incidentally, don't ever go to Frank Bria Motors in Hampstead Gardens, SA. He is a crook. He charged $126.50 when my girlfriend's car was towed there yesterday. All they did was test the old thermostat, put a new one in, and top up (not flush) the coolant.... Daylight robbery! :bang:

Thermostat - $20
Labour - 1 hour, $75
EPA (for the 200mL or so coolant they would have lost) - $10
Supplies (for the 200mL or so coolant they would have used) - $10
GST - $11.50
= AMAZING

Then they told me for $230 more I could have the radiator cleaned out. I rang around and found a quote for $230 for a brand new VT S1 V6 radiator (supply only).

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
LOL $230 to have a radiator cleaned hahahahahahahahahahaha

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
So I took it elsewhere today and the bad news is the radiator was stuffed...

So $335 bought me a new VT Series 1 V6 radiator, installed, with engine flush and 2 clamps and a radiator clip.

Add that to the $126.50 yesterday and I'm down $460. A far cry from the $150 it cost me to put a new one in my VS last week. The missus prefers to have the 'professionals' work on her car... makes her feel better somehow.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
So I took it elsewhere today and the bad news is the radiator was stuffed...

So $335 bought me a new VT Series 1 V6 radiator, installed, with engine flush and 2 clamps and a radiator clip.

Add that to the $126.50 yesterday and I'm down $460. A far cry from the $150 it cost me to put a new one in my VS last week. The missus prefers to have the 'professionals' work on her car... makes her feel better somehow.

You have a lot of luck with radiators :bang:

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Ha, i should have never posted in this thread, i was gassing my a/c today, and noticed a small bit of green on the ground, hoping it was there before i put car in workshop, i hunted and found, it, leaking from where the core tubes enter the right hand tank, about 200mm from the bottom, bugger, cant fix them when they are leaking from there, new unit here i come lol, but till then, i will do an old trick i picked up, ever seen the green gooey gunk that builds up around a leak on a cooling system with a good amount of glycol, well, ill use that to an advantage assuming its not too severe (ill have to pull fan and shround off to check it out properly) i will simply let half the water out, fill it with straight concentrate to brink the glycol level up a bit, and wait for it to gum up and seal itself lol, worked on my old vh rad, i leaked for about a week, and then just slowed to a rate of having to top reservoir up once evry 3 weeks or so, i can live with that, typical mechanics owned car mine is, everything goes for as long as it possibly can before it gets fixed lol