Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rapid Exhaust - Marriage Savers

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Finally got the H/balance pipe added in today. I should have been more specific as its been added a bit too far back I think, needed to be 6 inches closer to the hotdogs.

Mixed results overall.

Positives - idle volume reduced but still great note, 1,200rpm drone (again I have the auto) is significantly reduced, along with the AFM 'drone' noise made around low volume around town. In addition, there is increased 'note separation' generally from the addition of the H pipe, as you would expect. Hooray!

Negatives - the 1,650-,1900 rpm drone at highway 110km/h with AFM engaged is still there, no change with the added H piped. Drone without AFM turned on is minimal :-(

It's fine with AFM turned off/when you manually select 6th gear (but it always was).

Dunno what happened to the first poster who had success here however perhaps the secret is the H pipe absolutely has to be exactly just in front of the elbow, instead of behind as my install was done?

Can't win!

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_125646397.jpg
    IMG_20220803_125646397.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
not sure if anyone has asked the question before, but why not just de activate the AFM ?

I had marriage savers on my VF 1 , and trying to get rid of the drone when AFM kicks in is near on impossible. Also one person's definition of bearable drone may be another's unbearable. I had an OTR and tune done on it, and got then to de activate the AFM. the difference in fuel economy with AFM shut off (around town) was minimal

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
not sure if anyone has asked the question before, but why not just de activate the AFM ?

I had marriage savers on my VF 1 , and trying to get rid of the drone when AFM kicks in is near on impossible. Also one person's definition of bearable drone may be another's unbearable. I had an OTR and tune done on it, and got then to de activate the AFM. the difference in fuel economy with AFM shut off (around town) was minimal
Because it improves economy 10%+ on the highway, which is pretty significant. I can get about 8.5-8.8L/100 on various stretches of highway... that's from the bowser also not the trip computer. Trip computer I've had down to 8L/100 on various sections.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Because it improves economy 10%+ on the highway, which is pretty significant. I can get about 8.5-8.8L/100 on various stretches of highway... that's from the bowser also not the trip computer. Trip computer I've had down to 8L/100 on various sections.
Really have to ask yourself is 1lt per 100klm worth the time & effort putting into this.
Turning AFM off in the tune was one of the first things I did, that & the Trans tune the car was a different beast.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Seems the "economical V8" thing didn't bolster sales much with Holden dumping AFM, lowering diff ratios with the larger capacity LS3 engine in VF2. Most economy conscious people don't buy V8's and they appeal more to people who value performance, sound and exhilaration.

Last edited:

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Really have to ask yourself is 1lt per 100klm worth the time & effort putting into this.
Turning AFM off in the tune was one of the first things I did, that & the Trans tune the car was a different beast.
Yeah I'll be getting a tune on mine as I'm about to put in a 3.27 diff also, meaning the speedo needs correcting, so may as well tune it anyway.

My 'gripe' is really only that the marriage savers claim to be compatible on AFM cars but thus far that's not correct, unless you're prepared to tolerate ridiculous highway drone. So I'm trying to fix that working with the business.

If nothing else works I'll just either tune AFM off, or at least keep it off in 6th gear if that's an option.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Seems the "economical V8" thing didn't bolster sales much with Holden dumping AFM, lowing diff ratios with the larger capacity LS3 engine in VF2. Most economy conscious people don't buy V8's and they appeal more to people who value performance, sound and exhilaration.
Yes in general terms. I'd argue though Holden put the LS3 in instead of the LT1 because like always, Holden was never allowed Chevrolets good stuff until at least 3 years after Chevy gets it. Otherwise they would have put the LT1 in with the 8 speed auto.

Look up the LT1 V8 in the Camaro: Direct injection, AFM, VVT 11.5L/100km.... it had it all and made 339kw.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yes in general terms. I'd argue though Holden put the LS3 in instead of the LT1 because like always, Holden was never allowed Chevrolets good stuff until at least 3 years after Chevy gets it. Otherwise they would have put the LT1 in with the 8 speed auto.

Look up the LT1 V8 in the Camaro: Direct injection, AFM, VVT 11.5L/100km.... it had it all and made 339kw.
The LS3 was already engineered and certified for VF. They would had to validate the LT1 for the VF series 2 which would never happen as there was no extra budget to put the different engine and trans into a already old platform. I'm sure if the next platform was approved for Holden, the LT1 engine would have been used with the new tranny. Would of loved to see what they would of engineered. Hopefully it wouldn't of been a ZB

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Me too!. Here's a VE SS wagon diffuser on a VF Ute rear bumper painted in Phantom Black. It's my original tow bar bumper with holes in it worthy of chopping up to see if a diffuser setup worked. I found that mod extremely therapeutic!

View attachment 240551
Wow that's clean!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Yeah I'll be getting a tune on mine as I'm about to put in a 3.27 diff also, meaning the speedo needs correcting, so may as well tune it anyway.

My 'gripe' is really only that the marriage savers claim to be compatible on AFM cars but thus far that's not correct, unless you're prepared to tolerate ridiculous highway drone. So I'm trying to fix that working with the business.

If nothing else works I'll just either tune AFM off, or at least keep it off in 6th gear if that's an option.

I do think you'll be chasing your tail trying to get the drone minimized when AFM comes on. I know with VF's the tips on the marriage savers sit a bit more inwards than the VE. I got them to move mine out a few inches as I'd been told it makes a difference to the drone.
Made SFA difference. I also tried the blanket in the wheel well and other tricks that I now can't remember.
Best thing I did was de activate the AFM. I understand there's the modest fuel saving under freeway conditions, though when I had it done I regretted not doing it sooner.