Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Raptor blown VX RAP-20R

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Thanks mate, I am working on that right now. Plans are to do the auto (very sloppy), then the intercooler with a smaller pulley larger intake....list goes on. I have an offer to buy a 4.2L that was built to handle twin turbo's (1000hp no shyte) so if all goes to plan I could be throwing that in soon.

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Bit of an update,

The car was a bit noisy on cold startups due to the oil I was using being a 0W 40. I replaced it with some Royal Purple 10W 40 and it now runs like a pearler. I still have to install the Walebro 600hp fuel pump along with the new fuel filter.

the good oil.JPG

I will then be getting a Crow Double row timing chain installed ready for the 1.98 RR's with larger 110Lbs Valve springs. This should give the beast approx 30rwkw extra.

I want to get the auto rebuilt as well, 2 to 3 grand seems to be the going rate so I will save a few more bikkies before that gets done.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Giving it the ROYAL treatment hey :D

Works a treat that stuff

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Yes I am verrry happy with the results, The car feels good all round. I am getting the ATF for the 4L60E and the additive/oil for the diff. Will let you know the results.

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
bit of an update,

With 2/3 a tank of fuel and the auto still hitting the rev limiter through every gear change I still managed a 14.5 @ 95mph with a 2.1 60" time at WSID last Wednesday night. I raced an L67 VT Calais that had 1.9 RR's, 10 PSI Pulley upgrade and twin 2.5 Redback exhaust from the Cat back. It pulled a best of 14.274 @ 95mph with a 2.1 60" time. It was noticable how much I was losing though each gear change as I was next to the Calais in 2nd gear and when I hit the limiter the Calais shot forward 1/2 a car length.

Chiptorque hopefully has come to the rescue, they are going to do a custom tune on the Auto part of the ECU to firm up the shifts and lower the shift points if required, they are also upping the rev limiter for me.

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
Today had some minor issues with car:

Gave is some WOT for action to have the car tapping. Pulled over to find the oil was showing just under full with the dip stick. Put about 300ml of the remaining Royal Purple 10W 40 in it and it started to tap on the way home when I past a car at about 110kms (I had traveled another 150kms by this time). I am hoping it is not anything too serious but I will get the leak fixed ASAP. I should mention this is the hottest day the car has been driven in so I might need to use the 20W 50 Royal Purple instead.

I am a bit concerned it taps just under full so assuming the dip stick doesn't read right I have now put another litre into the motor to see if it stops the tapping and after all repairs are done I will continue to monitor it.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
charger sounds very nice mate! how much did you pay for the stage one kit?

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
With the extra oil it hasn't tapped since.

I gave it a bit tonight and it seemed to handle it but I will check all the possible causes. If not oil level then.....Noisy engine 101 is Valve needs reseating, Hydraulic lifters need service/replacement, Pushrod bent or worn, Low oil pressure (replace oil pump).

I have decided the car is coming off the road for a few months while I get it back up to scratch.

Last edited:

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
As above post ^^^^^^

I am getting a little runabout (1.3L barina) so I can finally have some fun working on my car without having to worry about it being my daily driver.

barina.jpg
barina_interior.jpg

This is a good pickup at $1000. The 4.2L is looking very attractive at the moment, it should handle my style of breaking....I mean driving cars. I think I already feel sorry for the Barina though :dance: