Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle then lost cylinder

Judpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6
Hi guys, my 2010 ve sv6 started to get a rattle ( sounded like a quick fan sort of rattle, and sounded like coming out near speaker in middle of dash). This rattle came at high rpm (4-5k) especially in second. Today I was testing it to see if rattle still there and check engine light came on and it dropped a cylinder. There were no ‘limp mode’ or any other warnings. It still drove with dropped cylinder but then 10 minutes later check light went off and it drove normal. Any ideas? Petrol? Coils, sparks? Thanks in advance

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Hi guys, my 2010 ve sv6 started to get a rattle ( sounded like a quick fan sort of rattle, and sounded like coming out near speaker in middle of dash). This rattle came at high rpm (4-5k) especially in second. Today I was testing it to see if rattle still there and check engine light came on and it dropped a cylinder. There were no ‘limp mode’ or any other warnings. It still drove with dropped cylinder but then 10 minutes later check light went off and it drove normal. Any ideas? Petrol? Coils, sparks? Thanks in advance
VEs can be a bit funny with miss fires. Keep driving if it becomes worse start with getting engine code read and go from there.

Judpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6
Thanks blackvss- any thoughts on the rattle? Could the rattle be coils or spark related? And then when I revved high the spark/coils messed up?