Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle?

TONESY89

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs commodore
What can cause a loose rattling sound when car is in drive sounds like coming from the front somewhere. Only does it when it's warm and when u sit on or accel to 2000 rpm. Very loud when u drive past something like it echoes off it? Got a 95 vs berlina

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
I think it is one of the pulleys, mine does it in drive as well, but not when I accelerate.

TONESY89

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs commodore
Only if I slowly accel up to 2000 rpm can hear it slightly with the windows up aswell

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Dying Idler pulley bearings can cause those symptoms. Try spraying some crc / wd40 on the centre of the pulley and see if the sound disappears. Cheap & easy way to find / eliminate the source.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The flex plate can crack where it bolts to the crankshaft and make a noise....you could remove the bottom cover and shine a light up to check for cracks. The flex plate is under stress in Drive.
Could also be an exhaust leak from the manifold.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Harmonic balancer !! Mine did that and i was convinced the motor was f***ked so i rebuilt it / used the original balancer and it was still there !!

That's only if it does it all the time, if it rattles only in drive maybe something in the trans has let go ?

Dylan_11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1 commodore
myne done this turns out it was something to do with aircon pulley or someothing. my rattle is all gone