Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rb30e to Rb30et (Highcomp)

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL Turbo SL soon to be canary yellow bt1 mock
Hey guys i am planning on converting my rb30e n/a to a rb30et using all standard gear and i just need your suggestions and input.

With intercooler piping would 2.5 or 3 inch be better or would 3 inch be to big and cause some lag ?

Can i run vl turbo injectors with a n/a ecu or am i better off tricking the ecu somehow into thinking its a
turbo ecu ?

Would running standard injectors and ecu on 10psi cause damage ?

Whats the most boost i can expect from a standard T3 or T3 highflow ?

With the n/a auto how long do you reckon it could last with a big transmission cooler and regular servicing ? would a shiftkit f**k it quicker with the turbo setup ?

And final question is will i need to get a engineers or emissions test done in order to stay legit or will it already be legit since they came out factory optioned ? Whats the best way to make it legit ?

Sorry for all the questions.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
2.5 will be fine fo cooler piping 3" would be more suited for high boost. Each to their own..
As for the Injectors u will need Turbo ECU to run turbo injectors to spec as the pulse rate is larger...u can run the turbo injectors with NA ecu but they will only run as NA injectors as it does not adjust the pulse rate...
Na injectors and ECU max out at approx 7 psi if u run 10 u will lean out your mix too much and melt something...+ high compression setup head gasket could be a problem. but i have heard some have lasted approx 15 psi..
i have been running my NA Auto box since my convert and so far all is well, and i have not been light on it. also running a trans cooler(which is built in to the radiator) aftermarket would be better, Depends on the overall condition of the box.
Emissions well,, basically make it a vlt setup to pass as u have stated u are using all the standard gear..making sure your not running oil catch cans and other subsystems

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that mate.

I thought the ecu and vlt injectors would need to match but its so hard to find a ecu these days and there is a way to trick the ecu i just cant remember how ?

I will see how long the box will handle the 10 or 12psi with a big tranny cooler and i would like to use 2.5 but most vlt kits are 3" upwards. Not chasing big boost or numbers at the moment i am only chasing a mean dose :D.

With regards to oil and water lines are they hard to hook up ? do you know if its hard to hook up the exhaust manifold and turbo ?

Cheers mate and i saw your thread on your car it looks tuff good work with it.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Hey man thanks for that...
Oil and water line are easy, your block should have the holes tapped already they are on the Exhaust Side(hot Side) just need to source some, there are some on ebay to suit stock VLT setup. Exhaust Manifold is easy as well. just make sure u give your exhaust studs a good hit with some INOX/WD40 Etc a few days before hand(Be Generous) so it can penetrate and help free them up. If you dont well u will most probably Snap some manifold Studs off. I was Lucky did not brake any.
It is recommended to replace them in the conversion, but u dont have 2.
Turbo is quite simple as well as for your setup the Turbo would be a low mount manifold setup. So you bolt the turbo to the manfold first and then onto the manifold studs.
Mean Dose, if i boost to 1 PSI controlling it with the throttle and let off it does a Mad Flutter/Dose so at 6 psi its Nuts and so on.
I am still trying to get an ECU as well, i have the Turbo Injectors
As for the box, i would Shift Kit it and get it Strengthened, or go Turbo Manual Box :p
Goodluck
Here to help in the convert if need be,.

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
you can run a vl Na ecu with vlt turbo injectors and they will run fine, yes the pulse is different but they do not run as NA injectors, the main difference between the computers is the knock sensor. my car pulled 205rwkw with VLT injectors and a NA ecu and the air fuel ratio did not go above 12-1. this was on 12.5 PSI

IMG_0399.jpg

This is on a A8 motor not hicomp but still the injectors do work with a NA ecu

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
must be the bigest power ive seen pulled from a stock ecu and your prob manual to?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
nice, thanks for that man.
thats good to know
i have not heard of this.... well i think i might install my turbo injectors and give it a dyno run.

so what ratio is getting too lean, where it can be fatal to the motor?

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
yeah mine is manual. yeah a few people have said thats a pretty impressive figure, but let me tell ya it feels every bit of the 200 to. its awesome fun to drive. well mine at 12-1 i wouldnt really want to go any leaner. the dyno is a lot different to road conditions, most people dont think of this and can lead to motors poping. Also my injectors are pretty much maxing out on 12.5 pounds so if i wanna go any more boost, bigger injectors and comp is the go. turbo is already hi flowed but would probably be near reaching its max i would think.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yer i will most likely try to go with vlt ecu and injectors just to be safe especially since i am trying to get 10psi to 12psi i will first run it on 7psi with unleaded and then try it on 10psi with a little unleaded if it pings i will put premium or high octane in. I am not even going to try and advance the timing with this setup but i have heard on A8 engines it gives them a decent boost.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to highflow a T3 or if a standard T3 can handle 12psi.
Vl walky mentioned to me he had 14 or 14.5psi with his a6 setup he had.

Still trying to find out how to trick the n/a ecu to think its turbo.

Seen a good gteck kit on ebay with no holes kit but its 230x300x76 intercooler but i want my cooler to be exposed so i am hunting a 600x300x76 or 600x400x76 with 3 inch piping.

Have found out 3 inch piping would be ok for my setup especially if its over 10 psi.

Would love to drop in a manual oneday if i can sus out the parts cheap enough but its hard to find a decent box that hasn't been flogged.

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
Mate you do not need to trick the na ecu, that was the whole point of my post. it will run fine. and i would suggest runnin high octane premium straight up it will ping on normal unleaded can almost guarantee it. i dunno if a standard T3 would handle 12 pounds, I drive mine daily on 10 PSI and thats a high flow T3

IMG_0378.jpg

thats how a 600x300x76 sits, would want to go any bigger in my opinion,
my piping is 2.5'' on the hot side and 3'' on the cold side