Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rb30et or 304ci

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
hey plans for my vh is rebuild the 202 in the not too distant future hoping for roughly 200hp. after i kill that i want a change. i was thinking a v6 conversion would be nice but why do that when its just as easy to put an injected 5L in it. so i was set on that till my mate bought a vl and it was so nice to drive and the 4 spd auto was so good, so much nicer than my mums vt.

so the question is which one? if i choose the rb30 id prob get a N/A one and fit an aftermarket turbo down the track. also im thinkin its got to be auto not a big fan of manuals. fun for a few days but when u gotta drive it everyday (and i do alot of drivin) i just cant be bothered changin gears all the time.

any comments be dice

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Ahh the VT probably is **** due to the heavy weight of the VT.

But look into the wiring of the elctrics, see which one is cheaper. Actually see which one of these engine conversions is cheaper.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Have a ride in both mate and see.. that's if u can.. if u want a turbo pickup an RB motor..i can't wait till im done with mine :D

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
If it was me , i'd go the 5L. Can't beat the note that they make.

The auto's behind the VL's aren't that great, i broke 3 of them behind a N/A motor.

But i guess it comes down to how much you want to spend. The conversion it's self would be much the same mechanically, unless the 5L needs a break upgrade to pass the engineers.
For the electricals, ckeck out CRS and V6conversions, they might make an addaptor.

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
well.u ll be hard done by breaking a worked 202. coz they dont break:thumbsup:. so that at least gives u some tyme 2 think bout it. but i would go the rb30. if u go v8 , u got fuel 2 worry bout ,rego and insurance. its hard 2 admit but those japs do make a filthy good engine.get a wrecked out vl and u got everything u need 4 the conversion, rite there, but then again theres anotha 200 000k left in that old 202 of urs:yeah:

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Yeah mate, i'll go with the 5L nothing beats good ol' thumping V8!!!!

Guru Spook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
RB30s are a bullet proof motor, but you can't beat cubes. 304 all the way.:thumbsup:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
5litre for the wiN! to many people are letting v8,s go because of fuel cost ect but a rb30et is going to chew just as much in fuel as an injected 5litre anyway! also every where you look theres turbo here turbos there but when you see a smicko v8 rumble up beside you it makes ya drool ha ha!

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
rb30 or 304

Yep, i love when i drive the VR SS when i step on it the noise that comes from the engine!:yeah:

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
yer i think im leaning toward the v8 as i've always wanted one :yeah: but like starfire vc said i got ages to think bout it :) i love 202's even tho they are underpowered and chew through fuel haha plus they are the best soundin 6 i have heard :thumbsup:
cheers 4 the comments