Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30t or ecotec

DP Hustlin'

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ sv6
hey mate let us kno how u go if u decide on the rb30det will ya??
iv got a vn rolling chassis here at home thats exactly wat im thinking of doing.
be better to learn from some one elses mistakes instead of my own lol

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
Lol just turbo the existing engine they have alot of potential modded there's manifolds for 500 on marketplace fkn cheap crap

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
delcowizzid is the king when it comes to tuning turbo buicks. he has a stock VNS1 V6 with a T70, injectors, and a cam pushing 400+hp. easy. does 11second 1/4 miles. not bad if i say so myself.

but in saying that, i wish i had of never touched my v6, coz for the same money, i could be making twice the power of the v6 with an RB. RB30 block, bored, stroked, RB25 or 26 twin cam head, and a big turbo can easily make 600+hp. and on top of that, a 2JZ is even more responsive to boost with unopened motors n bolt ons seeing 600-1000+ HP

poyter

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted 3.8lt 5 speed T5 manual VN S2 Commodore
but if this is going to be his every day car you got to start looking on what will be cheap in the long run even if the both motor had work done too it ... the the price of fuel these days...... so what would be cheaper rb30 or the ecotec?

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
but if this is going to be his every day car you got to start looking on what will be cheap in the long run even if the both motor had work done too it ... the the price of fuel these days...... so what would be cheaper rb30 or the ecotec?

thats like asking how long is a piece of string?

as far as fuel consumption, in the exact same driving senario the RB will be more fuel efficient coz its the smaller motor. however, in stock form, the v6 will not have to be pushed so hard so will end up being more economic.

however, once you start spending money on performance, fuel consumption tends to go out the window. so for the same dollars spent the RB would come out on top. turbo
either motor and youll get good gains but its only the last year or two that V6 powerfigure expectations have risen. so dollar for dollar the rb will be easier to get power out of.

my opinion, if your going to spend money. buy a super6 and turbo that. its already low comp, so its boost friendly, and its strong enough to handle up to 400hp with ease on the stock bottom end.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
I would go with the ecotec, I mean why would you wanna put an older engine into a newer model car. All you need is a cold air intake system, k&n panel air filter, exhaust, extractors and get a decent upgrade on your throttle body with a good tune your car would be awesome a dream and real pleasure to drive. You can even get a bigger cam and you will have a road eater you will beat all 4 cylinders and if they have turbo then you got turbo as well cya later to them, you will beat somemodern V6's and stock 5.0L V8's. These mods on the buick V6 and ecotec are absolutely dynamite!

Dont forget the fully sick "cop chip" :drink:

jakeydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2 V6
personally id stick to the buick the rb was great in the vl because it was light!! and thats the end of it.. say for arguments sake you run 18psi through you rb30 vs 10 through you ecotech power is roughly the same .. BUT the rb will be pushing hard EVERY time you go to accelerate ! the ecotec will still push but wont need to run anywere near its full potential on day to day driving keeping fuel costs down but still keeping the power there for when you put your foot down! I Myself have a vl turbo and a vp turbo very similar senario my vp makes quicker quarters tho on 12 psi 11.54 vl on 20psi 11.86... personally your in an australian car mate.. keep it that way stuff this jap cr4p and go the v8.. (blah blah blah american blah) Its In Our Nature More Cubes = More Room For Fun ... you show me a 1000hp jap car thats NOT forged everything... then maby ill turn :D:D:D