Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-tune after catback upgrade?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
And that's your opinion seems like you can't hack someone who doesn't agree with you. Ill give my house away if you can get two ss commodores one with a 3" one with a 2.5" and get anyone on the planet to notice a deference... my point is going 4-1 headers 200 cpi cats and 3" exhaust gave me amazing results. And it's Walkinshaw / .HM. don't bother bitching to me about Walkinshaw I really couldn't give a rat's.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Happy to tee this up. My "anyone" will be a dyno operator. ;)

I have to admit, I am bored and I did some JCC stalking.

SO, turns out you had a twin 2.5 system with tri-y headers and stock cat and then went to 4-1 headers, high flow cats and a twin 3" xforce. Then apparently you changed the xforce to a HM system. But I couldn't find mention of this until now.

Anyway, in this thread you have been suggesting that the twin 3" system is what livened up your car. I say it was the high flow cats, being that cats are quite potentially the BIGGEST restriction on any exhaust system.

Anyway, I agree that my post is an opinion (I actually said that in my first post). The difference is my opinion is supported by research and lots of material you can access via google while you opinion is supported by spelling mistakes and ludacris insinuations that I think people whould run 1" exhaust systems.

Moral of the story, the OP asked if he will need to retune after he puts on a twin 3" or if there will be any benefit.

The answer remains the same as in my first post.

Required = no
Benefitial = maybe, depends on what the car has done to it already.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
What do spelling mistakes have to do with anything? Whatever dude but I hate to say I agree retune is not needed wouldn't bother.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
So smaller pipes mean higher velocity so why not 1"? I'm not gonna bother it will just drag on and on. From my experience I gained more torque and power yes thats right both increased on the dyno chArt the torque in the lower rpm increased by between 3 and 5% and quite a bit more in the higher revs. That's what 2 dyno charts have told me I can only go off what I read and feel when driving it. That's my view 3" isn't to big. That's my experience and opinion big deal get over it gee.... getting all scientific on exhaust size is splitting hairs If I noticed power loss by going 3" it wouldn't be on the car anymore besides it sounds horn! So who cares if it did loose a pony or two. Just because I dont see your point of view doesn't mean you need to try and out smart me if your confident in your theory and beliefs then you shouldn't feel the need to say anything more than your opinion. ;)

Because exhaust pipes even in their optimal setup are a restriction. 1" is just too far.
2.5" is the most optimal size for a 6L to get the blend of low end torque/pedal response to high end power. Hence why we say that when you increase the diameter of your exhaust to 3", you are slowing the velocity of the gas, thus reducing low end torque.

Post up photo's of both your Dyno runs for us to see.

Seriously, no need to get your back up, if your old enough to drive a V8, you should be old enough to debate a few physics/car modifications intelligently and maturely.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
By the way if you actually read what I said I said the cat's was the key to it all hence why I uploaded photos of the factory cats.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Mine makes 475rwhp with a stock exhaust.................has about as much relevance as 90% of this thread.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I'm surprised you don't already know. He's plastered it all over the VE section lately and bragged about how his setup is the best.

Haha... yeah I am getting that "My car is somehow better than everyones and I know everything better than everyone" vibe off this bloke.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Haha... yeah I am getting that "My car is somehow better than everyones and I know everything better than everyone" vibe off this bloke.

When did I say my set up was the best? Please find the quote for me? You guys just think you own the forum and what you say goes and anyone challenges you it's all wrong and that person knows nothing.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm getting the " I own the forum, I'm the best person to ask about exhausts because I engineered the ve exhaust system and I'm a real big ### wit" vibe off this bloke

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Mine makes 475rwhp with a stock exhaust.................has about as much relevance as 90% of this thread.

Hmmm... true.

Timmo666, feel free to PM me if you want me to clean ou this thread for you.

Apologies for getting it off track. I have a pet hate of people with no idea posting baseless comments.

Cheers.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition