Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Really confused by the vastly different prices of used cylinder heads...

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I've been looking online at used cylinder heads for a VX. I have seen prices from under $70 each to $290 each, for what seems to be the same part. Not new, not reco'd, just straight off the engine, no associated parts, V6 Ecotec.

1711589853756.png
$350 / pair
1711590211842.png
$290 / each

1711590986090.png
$65 / pair

What am I missing here? What would you happily pay for a pair of cylinder heads as described above, in working condition?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I've been looking online at used cylinder heads for a VX. I have seen prices from under $70 each to $290 each, for what seems to be the same part. Not new, not reco'd, just straight off the engine, no associated parts, V6 Ecotec.

View attachment 266018 $350 / pair
View attachment 266020$290 / each

View attachment 266021 $65 / pair

What am I missing here? What would you happily pay for a pair of cylinder heads as described above, in working condition?
I've got a pair of ectotec heads you can have.

They where given to 4 or 5 years ago, & have been sitting in a draw since then.

If you want them, pm me, & we can work sometime you or somebody else can pick them up?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's a private sale, people can ask what they want, getting someone to pay the price is another story.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
It's a private sale, people can ask what they want, getting someone to pay the price is another story.
That's what I always say to my husband when he says "such-and-such is $200 on ebay" - just because they're asking $200 doesn't mean they're getting that.
A friend loaned us his VX years ago when I didn't have a car and he'd lost his licence for 6 months. Naturally, the engine died while I was driving it. I've just remembered that now, and it's got me thinking - it wasn't my fault the engine died, but we split the cost of a replacement used engine and my husband installed it. That engine is still going strong years later. It cost $500 for the whole engine. So how can someone expect to get close to the value of an entire engine for just two parts from it?? It's got me stuffed.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Prices are probably up a bit because there aren't as many about now.

Apparently there are also a lot of cracked ecotec cylinder heads out there so that is something to watch for if buying.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Prices are probably up a bit because there aren't as many about now.

Apparently there are also a lot of cracked ecotec cylinder heads out there so that is something to watch for if buying.

Cracked where though? If it's between the valve seats, meh just throw some new seats in and keep going.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it's between the valve seats, meh just throw some new seats in and keep going.
Just throw in some hey? What tool would the OP have to do that vice grips, pliers or a G-clamp?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just throw in some hey? What tool would the OP have to do that vice grips, pliers or a G-clamp?

I wasn't replying to the OP, I was talking about Immortalitys comment.
And by throw some in means take them to the engine shop and have them re do the seats.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Cracked where though? If it's between the valve seats, meh just throw some new seats in and keep going.

The casting between the valve seats is common I'm told.

Mine had some minor cracks in the seats but my head guy wasn't worried about those.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The casting between the valve seats is common I'm told.

Mine had some minor cracks in the seats but my head guy wasn't worried about those.

Yea it's not a big issue, some engine shops will try and up sell off cracks like that.