Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear brakes no fluid after VT brake upgrade in VH

vpower13

Reaction score
Members Ride
helecopter
Installed VT brake upgrade in my VH - Calipers, VS plastic booster & VT master. Trying to bleed the brakes and not getting any fluid to the rears. Any advice? Note: I’ve checked the fronts and getting fluid to those. Thanks in advance.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Installed VT brake upgrade in my VH - Calipers, VS plastic booster & VT master. Trying to bleed the brakes and not getting any fluid to the rears. Any advice? Note: I’ve checked the fronts and getting fluid to those. Thanks in advance.
did you bench bleed the mc if not you can do it on the car get some one to pump the pedal and hold while you crack the pipes have some rags handy and water

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
did you bench bleed the mc if not you can do it on the car get some one to pump the pedal and hold while you crack the pipes have some rags handy and water
Just to clarify for anyone that may have a McConnell moment… the water is to clean up spilt brake fluid on panels and such after the MC has been bled and pipes tightened back up… avoid getting water near the MC fluid reservoir at all costs…

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Is there a brake bias restrictor fitted in the back line?
I seem to remember having trouble bleeding the back on a VC or VH,
and found that an inline restrictor was blocked with crud.
May not be the case,but might be worth checking especially if bleeding master doesn't help.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
did you do the booster rod bolt head/thread mod on the VS plastic booster???
Did you connect the front/rear lines in the appropriate ports on VT master???

No fluid in the rear points to block in line/issues with master piston/seals and booster problems which will be felt when pressing brake pedal.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Brake proportioning valve I think was the name for it.
From my (very fuzzy) memory it was a (brass?) hex shaped barrel about an inch long,
possibly on the firewall on the driver's side.
If you follow the rear line back from master you should find it.
Crack it on the rear brake side and see if you have fluid there if you're still having trouble.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Brake proportioning valve I think was the name for it.
From my (very fuzzy) memory it was a (brass?) hex shaped barrel about an inch long,
possibly on the firewall on the driver's side.
If you follow the rear line back from master you should find it.
Crack it on the rear brake side and see if you have fluid there if you're still having trouble.

Brake proportioning valves were typically fitted to drum braked rear cars.....Vs's weren't fitted with drum brakes..... :)

I don't think they were even fitted to any Commodore master cylinder......I converted my VC from drum braked rear to disc and left the M/C the same....No problems bleeding that.....Have swapped the original M/C since the swap though, but that's another thing altogether

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Some vehicles, particularly older Utes an even have a load sensing proportioning valves above the rear axle and from what I understand they can needed fiddling with if lots of air or moisture got into the rear lines…

Modern cars with ABS don’t have proportioning or load sensing valves as it’s all don’t by software. In these cars, bleeding is also don’t by software.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
OP has VH,