Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Light Bulb Failure Warning Light

GlennVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2
Hi all, my first post but been reading many posts over the last few months, that has been great and helpful.

I recently purchased a very nice VX Calais, series 2. Part of my upgrading including replacing the headlamp globes (both low and high beam - halogen H1 and H4) and parking globes (T10 wedge type LED) with a whiter light. The previous owner upgraded the reverse lamps to a brighter LED type but the rear parking, stop lamps and all indicator lamps are standard original type.

When I turn on the parking lights and/or headlights, the small red ‘rear light bulb failure’ dash error light comes on. It will not go out unless I apply the brakes, only to come back on again when I lift my foot off the brake. I have checked the owner’s handbook and it states in these circumstances, there is a bulb failure in the ‘tail lights’. I have checked the tail lights are there is no bulb failure. My auto electrician stated the front parking LED’s I installed run on very low amps and this is causing it, as the car thinks there is a globe out. I changed back to the original parking bulbs but made no difference. The diagnostic tool was connected but no luck in removing the error.

Does anyone know the cause of this error and how to remove the red warning light? (other than removing the small globe from behind the instrument cluster, that I really don't want to do). I have tried suggested fixes from older threads but not installing load resistors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.

Attachments

• dash error.JPG
    dash error.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 100
  • rear light bulb.jpg
    rear light bulb.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 84

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you checked the number plate light globes?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi all, my first post but been reading many posts over the last few months, that has been great and helpful.

I recently purchased a very nice VX Calais, series 2. Part of my upgrading including replacing the headlamp globes (both low and high beam - halogen H1 and H4) and parking globes (T10 wedge type LED) with a whiter light. The previous owner upgraded the reverse lamps to a brighter LED type but the rear parking, stop lamps and all indicator lamps are standard original type.

When I turn on the parking lights and/or headlights, the small red ‘rear light bulb failure’ dash error light comes on. It will not go out unless I apply the brakes, only to come back on again when I lift my foot off the brake. I have checked the owner’s handbook and it states in these circumstances, there is a bulb failure in the ‘tail lights’. I have checked the tail lights are there is no bulb failure. My auto electrician stated the front parking LED’s I installed run on very low amps and this is causing it, as the car thinks there is a globe out. I changed back to the original parking bulbs but made no difference. The diagnostic tool was connected but no luck in removing the error.

Does anyone know the cause of this error and how to remove the red warning light? (other than removing the small globe from behind the instrument cluster, that I really don't want to do). I have tried suggested fixes from older threads but not installing load resistors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.
Have you taken the rear tail/stop light globes out & checked them & the sockets? May need a clean or replace the globes?

GlennVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2
Have you checked the number plate light globes?
Yes I did this and replaced the LED's with the original globes I had. Took the car for a drive and PERFECT - NO DASH ERROR. I was very surprised as the fault states 'a bulb failure of the tail lights is indicated'. I just didn't think the number plate globes/bulbs would've been the issue.

Thank you very much for the advice.

GlennVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2
Have you taken the rear tail/stop light globes out & checked them & the sockets? May need a clean or replace the globes?
Yes this was my next step. Luckily it was the number plate globes that surprised me. I'll just leave the original type of globe in there and not worry about upgrading to a whiter cleaner light. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Reactions: Lex

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
From memory the number plate lights in this version can be extra fiddly, nowhere to get a grip or good access.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need to go through the following procedure:

REAR LAMP FAILURE WARNING SYSTEM BULB RELEARN PROCEDURE
This procedure must be carried out if the battery has been disconnected.
Ensure battery is fully charged and functional before carrying out the following procedure:
1. Ensure all rear light bulbs are working. Replace/repair any faulty bulbs/wiring.
2. Turn ignition OFF, parking lamps OFF and stop lamps OFF.
3. Remove and reinstall fuse F31 from engine compartment relay housing, to reset BCM.
4. Start engine and allow to idle.
5. Switch parking lamps ON.
6. Wait 5 seconds.
7. Press brake pedal and hold.
8. Wait 5 seconds.
9. Switch parking lamps OFF.
Wait 5 seconds.
10. Bulb relearn is now complete, turn engine OFF and release brake pedal.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Your problem is probably that the resistance in one of your circuits is not the same as the factory specification...What the bulb out feature detects is a drop in resistance...likely its the led bulbs... reverse leds maybe? Sometimes also a number plate light will do it check both plate bulbs..oops just read you got it sorted...

Last edited:

GlennVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2
You need to go through the following procedure:

REAR LAMP FAILURE WARNING SYSTEM BULB RELEARN PROCEDURE
This procedure must be carried out if the battery has been disconnected.
Ensure battery is fully charged and functional before carrying out the following procedure:
1. Ensure all rear light bulbs are working. Replace/repair any faulty bulbs/wiring.
2. Turn ignition OFF, parking lamps OFF and stop lamps OFF.
3. Remove and reinstall fuse F31 from engine compartment relay housing, to reset BCM.
4. Start engine and allow to idle.
5. Switch parking lamps ON.
6. Wait 5 seconds.
7. Press brake pedal and hold.
8. Wait 5 seconds.
9. Switch parking lamps OFF.
Wait 5 seconds.
10. Bulb relearn is now complete, turn engine OFF and release brake pedal.
Yes I tried this a few days ago but had no luck. I just went back to original and all sorted. At least I don't have that small red light on my dash now.

GlennVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2
I am so happy it was a small issue that was resolved. I am very fussy and a little OCD when it comes to my car. I wish I wasn't like this but a good thing in way (the Mrs thinks I'm mad). Thanks so much for the replies guys.