Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Lower control arm bush replacement

WHT85Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hello all

I am just wondering if their is a DIY method to putting the lower control arm bush into the diff housing. I have tried the bolt with large washers method and that hasnt been successful.

My mechanic (mobile) tried to put them in with his press but it was too small.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
I have used a 20mm threaded rod with large washers with success. They are tapered and will only go one way.

R

richo304

yeh mate they are tapered so make sure they are the right way,i made a tool it was a large socket and i welded a bar on to it so i could put the socket part against the bush and then hit the bar with a hammer so it doesnt damage the bush,,,,,,,,this was the exact same tool they use at pedders as i went and asked them and the guy showed me,he said we normaly cut the old ones out, with a 9inch grinder cut through the middle then smack out the pieces with a punch and hammer as the old bush will probably be tight as hell and jammed in the houseing then clean any paint and burrs out of the houseing put the new bush in and wack it in with the tool,,,,hope that helps or gives you an idea

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Else Just take the cleaned up control arms with the new bushes down to a mechanics or engineering shop and ask them if they can press them in for you even if you pay them $20 for the job its cheaper than stuffinf the bushes and needing to replace them :)

Scott

WHT85Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I really should get onto this, still sitting in my garage unfinished.