Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Passenger floor flooding

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Yeah, that's this week's job! Check 2 doors to start with and see, I suspect I'll be replacing the plastic sheeting. I'll check repco/supercheap/autobarn. They're all close by.
Just got to find some plastic sheeting to use!
If you want to stop the water, now and the future - do it properly.

Plastic sheeting (dust/water seals) are available from Holden if yours are ripped etc. They are also available as an aftermarket 'general sizing' from Car Builders. The Holden ones (although ridiculously priced) are better as they also contain the drink bottle impressions and they 'fit' better. Remove the originals and COMPLETELY clean all butyl off. The inner door should be very clean before new butyl is applied (Car builders have a kit with butyl if you trouble getting it - think ebay do it too). After taking the originals off give the inner door hollow (where the windows slide down) a good clean too. Go slow and you'll get a good fit.

Also, check your window seals to see if they are shot.

Carpet, don't remove the carpet completely as it's a PITA and if its that bad it could shrink excessively while drying . You will need to roll the carpet back as far as you can and get the under felt as dry as possible. This will of course require trim removal etc. I firstly sucked out as much water as possible with a wet/dry vac. I then used a fan heater sitting in the car for hours - obviously this requires semi-constant supervision... I propped the carpet up with all sorts of 'things' to create air gaps. This all takes time.

In my case i also removed the seats (front and back) to get to the wet areas. That said, check out advice here on removing seats BEFORE doing so. There can be complexities with air bags etc - but all doable. Good luck!

Last edited:

natmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2 SV6
Hi all!

So I've taken 1 door card off. The worst of them all. There's not apot going on. Looks all good to me, a few bits where water can come out. Guna do another hose test while the card is off.
Can see on the door card itself, its missing a couple clips and one plastic bit has been broken off, I assume so when the auto electricians did my windows a few years back, it was just floating around in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517_133345_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_133345_Gallery.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240517_133408_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_133408_Gallery.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20240517_133337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_133337_Gallery.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240517_133328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_133328_Gallery.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240517_133311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_133311_Gallery.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240517_133259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_133259_Gallery.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 31

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Yeah that door seems to be in reasonable nick. Butyl looks black and 'moist' (which is good). Check that butyl strip down the bottom of the door/plastic as that's where most of the gunk will get and eventually break down the butyl. Your speaker doesn't look shot from here either (big give-away if it's rusted). Check, and double-check the butyl sealing all around - it can be 'just' a little moved and water will flow. The clips? Yeah, unfortunately most people that work on a car that's not theirs will apply just enough force to break clips... but that's no water problem. You have checked your drainage holes, yes?

natmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that door seems to be in reasonable nick. Butyl looks black and 'moist' (which is good). Check that butyl strip down the bottom of the door/plastic as that's where most of the gunk will get and eventually break down the butyl. Your speaker doesn't look shot from here either (big give-away if it's rusted). Check, and double-check the butyl sealing all around - it can be 'just' a little moved and water will flow. The clips? Yeah, unfortunately most people that work on a car that's not theirs will apply just enough force to break clips... but that's no water problem. You have checked your drainage holes, yes?
Yeah with a bit of pressure, I got it to sit much better. Still needs a few gaps filled. Getting some butyl tomorrow from Repco. The drain holes are all good and clear, been checking those on the regular, with an extra clean out after it rains.
I checked the drivers side door, just the bottom, ran out of time, but it's very much worse! I'll get the door off properly tomorrow and see what the deal is around the top, but anything like the bottom and I'll have to re do the entire strip of butyl.
Good note on the speaker! Never thought about that. Looks like a bit of mould maybe on the door mechanisms but I'll give that a clean. The rest looks alright considering how much water was coming out.

Drivers side photos - Not the best photos but tells a story sure enough.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240517-171119.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240517-171119.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 30
  • VideoCapture_20240517-171139.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240517-171139.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 31
  • VideoCapture_20240517-171151.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240517-171151.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 25
  • VideoCapture_20240517-171158.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240517-171158.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 25

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Image below is what can happen. I've since replaced all four speakers. Hope the link works.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachments/img_1725-jpeg.265294/

Yes, if you think the butyl looks even a little bit suspect then i'd replace the lot (in that door). This way you start with a nice clean surface and can be sure you've plugged all potential gaps. I would steer clear of replacing 'bits' of butyl - for my time/money, just not worth it (butyl is relatively cheap for the bloody amazing job it does - and leaving the door serviceable). Also, although your plastic looks good, make sure you go over it and ensure no nice clean cuts from previous door work. It can be hard to see.

Last edited:

natmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Image below is what can happen. I've since replaced all four speakers. Hope the link works.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachments/img_1725-jpeg.265294/
Link worked! Jeeez! It will be interesting to see my front speaker, it looks horrid in there from a glance.
I'll be looking to upgrade the stock standard head deck in the car soon, if there's 1 rusty speaker the 4 will be replaced.
She needs a bit of work, centre console lid snapped off a while back and the drivers side seat plastic has cracked. Found a zip tie holding it on that broke off. Been one thing after another but she'll get there!

Reactions: Lex

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Link worked! Jeeez! It will be interesting to see my front speaker, it looks horrid in there from a glance.
I'll be looking to upgrade the stock standard head deck in the car soon, if there's 1 rusty speaker the 4 will be replaced.
She needs a bit of work, centre console lid snapped off a while back and the drivers side seat plastic has cracked. Found a zip tie holding it on that broke off. Been one thing after another but she'll get there!
You can usually get the seat bottom trim from Holmart ( but that's Vic, there's something likely closer for you). I've got one from eBay and it was OK too. Assuming you mean the plastic that houses the seat controls on RHS - if so, bloody common for it to crack.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can usually get the seat bottom trim from Holmart ( but that's Vic, there's something likely closer for you). I've got one from eBay and it was OK too. Assuming you mean the plastic that houses the seat controls on RHS - if so, bloody common for it to crack.
I had a major crack in one so it got replaced, and a tiny crack in my two year old old since fitting new. I have a spare in the shed. I think the trick is to not put too much weight on the side seat bolster as you get out. Don't do what I did and sat there sideways looking at something and it now has developed a tiny crack. It's not getting worse so I'm leaving it for now. I just know not to sit on the edge of the seat and clean the door trims as that's not good for them.

Can now buy aftermarket ones for SS and SV6. I haven't seen what they are like but they are significantly cheaper than factory ones, which I believe Holden still have stock.

Paul Water

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I just did mine as it pissed water in the back 2 doors. Add some more new sausage to the plastics and used VM tape around the edges for Justin. Now no more leaks. I also hole punched some holes in the outer side of the rubber so if water does get in it will run through to the outside which appears to work too. I'll now look into replacing the door window felts as they are hard and shrunk.