Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Shock Absorbers

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
My left hand rear shock absorber is covered in greasy black oily stuff so I assume the shockie is leaking. The one on the right is greasy as well but not as bad. But the thing is they still seem to be working OK. If I push down on the corners of the car it stabilises straight away & I havn't noticed any difference on the road.
Will they still go alright for a while if they're leaking? or are they shot?

And any reccomendations for replacements. Gas or oil?

thanks.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
yes some times thay can last for months......somtime thay dont last loong after thay leak,,,,,,its a kinda warning you should keep in the back of you mind>>>if thay are leaking that means thay no longer are running at %100 it could give you all kinds of trouble and you wouldnt even know untill ya look at your tyres one day and wonder why thay are wearing out,,,,,or wearing un even,,,,,or the handeling may not be as good as used to be,,,,,worn shokers can cause all kinds of prob. brake wear, bad tyre wear,stress on the struts.....for the cost of nerw shockers vs the prob that could come your way if you dont fix em quik...i would pay the $100 or so dollers just to avoid the other big probs worn shocks can cause.........that my opinion and i would say most other guys as well..as for the kind ? there is all kinds and it would have to be a set that suites you and your driving.................hope this helps you out mate have a good one......................cheeers..........tony

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
mitch01 said:
If I push down on the corners of the car it stabilises straight away & I havn't noticed any difference on the road.
Will they still go alright for a while if they're leaking? or are they shot?

Pushing on a car and waiting for it to stabilise isn't the best way to determine if the shockies are gone. Go to your local mechanic/tyre place and get someone to go for a ride with you to check it out.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
if thay are leaking ? thay aint running a 100% so i would change em.....if you have an older car that you dont care to much about that would be fine to leave them on.....but if you like your car the way i do? lol you would change them.....the pedders add on tv say worn shocks can cause all kinds off probs,,,,tyre ware,pulling to 1 side,and the list goes on.......and at the cost of fuel in 2005 a pair of shock are cheaper than a tank of fuel............hope this help you make up your mind. have a good week end and a better weeks start on monday morning .............cheers again.................tony

Z

ZER0

im in the same boat at the moment... ultratune want $220 to replace them... is this a fair price?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
not sure

ring around and you may get a better deal...try pedders and other company.....ultra tune,,,may pay you to try some places that just do shock...or try this...i had to get 2 front shocks for a 1997 ford explorer? i got a set of ebay that were made in the usa( good brand and brand new)i paid $99 and thay were dropped at my door,,,i then took em to pedders to get em fitted ? $ 85 to fit them so a total cost of$184.99 and that for a huge 4wd ( but i did get the shocks cheap of ebay)may be you can also get them off emay and just pay pedders to fit them for you...................not sure if this helps you but its just another idea for you to try have a great weekend and a better weeks start on monday morning ...........cheers :thumbsup:

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Thanks guys. I'll ring around to get a few quotes and get it done along with my 70k service. Better to be safe than sorry....

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
hi guys - finally got around to getting some quotes. I can get monroe Gas for $200 fitted, or am also considering some KYB's for $310 fitted.
Do you think these prices sound reasonable?
And is there much advantage in going for the higher quality KYB brand? I kinda prefer the ride of a good oil shock compared to gas, but perhaps gas would last longer?