Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear squeaking/rattling noise.

Murphington

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Hey everyone.

My 2010 VEII Sv6 has developed an annoying rattling/squeaking noise at in the rear when going over even the slightest bumps.

I took it in to get it looked at and was told it was stones in the shocks, which they blew out - Yet didnt fix anything. So when I took it back to fix my CAI I got them to recheck and they now are saying i have stones in the exhaust causing the noise.

Just wondering if anyone knows if that'd be a reason for such a noise or am I getting the run around? Also how do you go about getting stones out? Will they ever just blow out or can holden take off the exhaust to get them out?

Thanks heaps in advance :)

Cheers, Murphington.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
I have the same issue. I have aftermarket suspension though and put it down to that. I only notice it when the windows are down, but it seems to be exactly what you're describing. I haven't said anything to holden as i just put it down to the suspension. Maybe i was wrong...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Stones in the exhaust, Seriously ? perhaps they were factory fitted.

Sounds like the time Honda told my brother that Ants built a nest in his ECU so it wasn't covered by warranty. Strangely they never showed him any evidence of the ants nest.

Murphington

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Yeah the noise Cant be heard over the radio when volume is set to +10. But If i wanna drive with no radio on it drives me crazy!

I was also thinking it'd be bloody hard to get stones in the exhaust and unless someone has thrown them in :( Car shouldnt be rattling this much after just a year! Frustrating as.

Anyway cheers guys :)

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Get someone to sit in the back and try to identify if the sound is coming from one or both sides. Unlikely to have "stones" in both mufflers (unless you were doing huge donuts and hand brake turns in a gravel pit).

I would suspect suspension or even possibly an exhaust mount rubbing.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I have seen stones get trapped above the exhaust and heat shields. Thats probably what they meant...