Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

** Rebuilding a Stroked/Turbo VT Ecotec **

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
5 grand??? i wish it was 5 grand...so far ive spent 12...still got another 2-3k left then 7k+ for turbos.....:S

the heads are already ported 56cc chambers increase compression, 148cc intake runners, 58cc exhaust, 1.96 intake 1.57 exhaust valves

reckon i should go more?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the heads will be out the box un-touched ide be getting them flow tested and probably open the chambers up to unshroud the valves and lower comp back close to stock ratio or lower depending on what pistons you ended up with .shame they dont have flow figures for them could flow worse than stock :p or the same which would be pointless just bolting them on.they are bound to need port matching to the inlet manifold anyway

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
good point...ill get it all measured and played with to match :) thanks delcowizzid

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
the heads will be out the box un-touched ide be getting them flow tested and probably open the chambers up to unshroud the valves and lower comp back close to stock ratio or lower depending on what pistons you ended up with .shame they dont have flow figures for them could flow worse than stock :p or the same which would be pointless just bolting them on.they are bound to need port matching to the inlet manifold anyway

Those heads are a complete re design of the ecotec head. They aren't just an aluminum cast of a stock ecotec head. Valve angles are altered, coolant passages are equalised and revised for routing along with chamber design being vastly improved. Valves are already de shrouded in the alloy casting. Most important thing on these heads is that the exhaust short turn radius is lengthened to overcome the biggest flaw of the ecotec head.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes i know they arnt ecotec castings LOL just depends what version heads they are if they are early ZZP leftovers ide bin them LOL took them so many goes to get them anywhere near good wrong cooling passages too big and too small passages one casting didnt even have them at all LOL even mace wont post flow figures for them costs #### all to get a head flow tested why is there no figures??i wouldnt even look at them untill i had seen some sort of results/tests etc.set of hand ported cast iron heads will outflow these alloys as they come out the box

Adam_88

soon to be boosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
red VY Ute
yes i know they arnt ecotec castings LOL just depends what version heads they are if they are early ZZP leftovers ide bin them LOL took them so many goes to get them anywhere near good wrong cooling passages too big and too small passages one casting didnt even have them at all LOL even mace wont post flow figures for them costs #### all to get a head flow tested why is there no figures??i wouldnt even look at them untill i had seen some sort of results/tests etc.set of hand ported cast iron heads will outflow these alloys as they come out the box

a mate of mine had some mace heads that were flowed and ended up throwing them in the bin he made more with the standard heads!!!

MACE

Reaction score
a mate of mine had some mace heads that were flowed and ended up throwing them in the bin he made more with the standard heads!!!

We've every only delivered 7 pair of heads (inc 4 sets of alloy heads), and not a single set to Canberra. I would be incredibly surprised if they were our heads. If you mate has an invoice number and genuinely not happy the heads I'll happy refund his money in full. The last set of cast iron heads we sent up to a customer was when we first released them on the forum back in 09.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/mace-engineering/96810-v6-peformance-parts-8.html#post1217637

We haven't been heavily advertising ported factory heads as the initial company that helped us out with them, was not consistent. Needless to say I still have two sets of his heads here which have been stilling on the shelf for over a year now...

In saying this though this is going to change with company we're working with, plus our own CNC ported heads :)

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score

DW,

Have you seen the heads in person to make an accurate judgment? In regards to flow benchs, they vary worse then dyno's, so posting up flow bench figures using a state of the art SuperFlow bench, is definately going to different figures then ol mate running seven domestic vacuum clears, with just a manometer and everything else in between. Comparative testing on the SAME flow bench (or reputable ones), with accurate temperature/weather compensation etc is the only way to get meaningful results.

From feedback we've received from customers, with actual product experience and in the hands of professional head porters, these alloy heads flow about as well as a set of good factory ported heads out of the box. Where they really shine though is when they're ported, reaching flow far greater then the "best" factory ported head, with the simple fact that they have much more meat to play with, coupled with revised chamber and runner geometry off the bat

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
no i have not seen these in person but i have a network of tuners and engine builders around the world who have been involved in trailing these and have reverted back to ported cast iron heads i have also seen how easily damaged they are in boosted situations with not enough headstuds to hold them down as well as the ones with extra holes for more studs.there was a time i was searching high and low for alloy heads now i wouldnt even dream of running a set unless i got them for free to try :D you blow a head gasket they need welding and surfacing do that a few times they are only good for scrap.surely you must have some flow figures for a ballpark flow value i have flow figures for all stock holden buick and ecotec heads and ported flow figures from a reputable flow bench to compare them too