Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuilding the 304 vt senator! ;)

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Never Heard of the fram branded oil filters I've always been told genuine which are the same for VN 5L through to VZ LS1

Glad to see Ian talked you into the stroker...lol, at least you won't need to clearance the block for the stroker as it should already be done from factory

Keep the pics comin

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Never Heard of the fram branded oil filters I've always been told genuine which are the same for VN 5L through to VZ LS1

Glad to see Ian talked you into the stroker...lol, at least you won't need to clearance the block for the stroker as it should already be done from factory

Keep the pics comin

haha maybe its a new zealand thing!yeah blocks already machined for stroker! yea ian and a few others have con'd me into it now! but hay not better than cubes right! pictures coming!

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Update:

couple pics of the block etc. Do have a qeustion tho???????

Do the standard pistons have ACL and a F cast into them???????? they also have 386 sstamped on top of them?????

p1030562h.jpg

By ralliart89 at 2012-08-06

p1030563k.jpg

p1030564g.jpg

p1030567ex.jpg

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
So my pistons have arrived today. Keith Black flat tops (chev) and a set of total seal rings! Next up will be a set of "I" beams!

p1030636g.jpg

By ralliart89 at 2012-09-03

p1030635k.jpg

By ralliart89 at 2012-09-03

Dougthe37th

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
very nice I'm rebuilding a 304 engine to put in the VC atm and I'm going down the same path as you are can you let me know if you have any issues with clearence because I was talking to the guy where I'm getting all the machine work done and he said that I might have some clearence issues with the SCAT crank and chev rods and especialy if I'm using H beam rods.
Cheers Doug

97VTSS

So the senator is in the garage awaiting the rebuild.

So what i have planned to do is:-

-Acid dip block and plenum and possibly crank.
- Flat top pistons and rings
- A crane type 286 spec grind with a 110lsa at .500" lift
- a slight head porting
- deck the block to zero
-new hydraulic roller lifters
-new crank bearings and cam bearings
- plus all your normal extra's ( head gaskets plenum gaskets sump gaskets oil etc)

Now a few qeustions....

With the cam and ecu, do you think it will be ok to run in motor on the standard 5l computer and 98octane until i can sort tune out?

I was also thinking of a 276 but love the lopey idle of the 286 so thinking that maybe the better option

What valve springs do you recommend?

is it wise to deck to zero with the flat tops?

What else would you recommend also getting or doing engine wise ( high stall will be coming later on)

Im not wanting an all out power monster, but something some what streetable with power in the range of 2500 to 3000 up and some good hard torque (without going stroker or charged) and something that is nice and grumpy at idle but not going to be a too much of a pig down low, but im willing to sacrifice some as its not my daily.

Ideas and recommendations?

Cheers

Check my ride out on the link below. Might give you a few ideas.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
very nice I'm rebuilding a 304 engine to put in the VC atm and I'm going down the same path as you are can you let me know if you have any issues with clearence because I was talking to the guy where I'm getting all the machine work done and he said that I might have some clearence issues with the SCAT crank and chev rods and especialy if I'm using H beam rods.
Cheers Doug

hay mate! what block is your 304 from? mine is the factor releived stroker vt block so i wont have issue with the extended stroke as mine is already machined for the longer stroke anyway. Im using Eagle I beams for my build, but ive also heard that with H beams you may have slight clearance issues due to the wider B/E. But saying that some people dont have issues either... as you know every block casting is slightly differant. I have gone with the I beams for a few reasons.
1. the rods are lighter than H beams.
2. the possible cleanrance issue.
3. mines going to be a weekender and not a burnout king so wont be holding 6500 for 3mins ( though there will be a few skids :) )
They run I beams in our super saloons here in NZ and yet to break one, dirt track racing can be fairly brutal!

But definatly keep your eyes posted to thread as i will keep posting my progress!

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Check my ride out on the link below. Might give you a few ideas.

Nice car mate! Loving the intake manifold! thats exactly what i want to do with mine! Is the runners extended inside the box? And did you go back to a MAP set up like the earlier 304's?

97VTSS

So the newest edition of parts has arrived for the stroker build!

Here we have a scat 9000 series 3.480 stroker crank! With holden mains and chev big ends.

p1030515g.jpg

By ralliart89 at 2012-08-03

p1030513q.jpg

By ralliart89 at 2012-08-03

Though the missus is not happy its on our white coffee table!

next addition will be some eagle 5.7" rods!

Gotta remember the crank is more important than the coffee table. haha