Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended full Synthetic oil for LS1 162,000KM???

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
You will be fine with 10w60 Castrol edge. I've been using it for 3 years now with no problems.

Occasionally it's noisy on cold start up, but that's pretty normal with the ls engines.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I know this has more then likely been covered a billion times in the past.

However I just got my VZ and the oil is black,

Thanks

Just what colour do you think old oil will be, I run full synthetic 10w40 and change oil and filter evry 5k and oil is always black when I change it.
With an engine with those K's you'd do well using an oil with a hot viscosity of 40 or higher as any lower maybe too thin and give you too much blow by.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
obviously I know its going to be black, but not tar like black.

GTR27

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
On the LS1 forums, the guy who runs (or owns, cant remember) mainlube recommends castrol edge 10w60 as the best off the shelf oil (best protection and properties). If you're really nuts, go with mainlube, but its $40 a L, so works out quite expensive.

Apparently with these sorts of oils, changing the filter more often and sending oil for analysis means you can extend the service intervals quite a lot as synthetic doesnt degrade quickly like mineral. I'm pretty sure he said many people using synthetics over change their oil (i.e. they change it too much) because they are used to those sorts of schedules thanks to years of mineral oil use.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
obviously I know its going to be black, but not tar like black.

Tar like is a differnt matter altogether.
Either the previous owner has used a really low grade oil of he never changed the oil or only once now and then.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I am going to buy and change it this weekend, I am either going with the Castrol 10-60 or Pentrite 10 or 15-40, I wont be doing a lot of hard driving if any.

Vr wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon
go the pentrite i just think its a better class of oil then the castrol