Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended full Synthetic oil for LS1 162,000KM???

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
I am going to buy and change it this weekend, I am either going with the Castrol 10-60 or Pentrite 10 or 15-40, I wont be doing a lot of hard driving if any.

gotta love the internet, your motor may be in need of 60 weight oil but you will need the understand why it may have this need (and more of a technical reason than just because we want to...).

Neither the people who made your engine nor the people who make the oil recommend a 60 weight.

But what would they know.........

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
gotta love the internet, your motor may be in need of 60 weight oil but you will need the understand why it may have this need (and more of a technical reason than just because we want to...).

Neither the people who made your engine nor the people who make the oil recommend a 60 weight.

But what would they know.........

Not everyone drives their car likes a grandpa. Some people actually use the accelerator to accelerate (wow, I know right).

Castrol actually do recommend Edge 10-60, as does the owner of Mainlube.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Not everyone drives their car likes a grandpa. Some people actually use the accelerator to accelerate (wow, I know right).

Castrol actually do recommend Edge 10-60, as does the owner of Mainlube.

straight from CASTROL - they make oil.

HOLDEN
VZ Commodore/ Calais Series, 5.7 Litre V8 Eng. (2004-2005)
CRANKCASE
CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4
Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 is a fully synthetic, SAE 0W-40, engine oil formulated for prestige and high performance engines. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 provides outstanding wear protection in performance engines designed to run at their optimum level on lower viscosity oils. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 should be used in engines where maximum efficiency and protection is demanded This product is not suitable for vehicles fitted with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF).
or CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is a fully synthetic, SAE 5W-30, engine oil. It gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from today's highly tuned four cylinder and latest technology engines, operating with tighter tolerances, requiring lower viscosity and stronger oils for variable service intervals. Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is proven in tests to deliver outstanding oil strength.
or CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 provides instant protection from the moment you turn the key. Up to 75% of engine wear happens while your engine warms up. When the engine stops oil drains off critical engine parts, however Castrol Magnatec's intelligent molecules don’t. They cling to engine like a magnet, providing an extra layer that protects during start-up and beyond. Castrol Magnatec’s unique formulation protects from the moment you turn the key, dramatically reducing* engine wear. Castrol Magnatec’s Intelligent Molecules bond to metal surfaces to make engine parts more resistant to wear and are combined with synthetic technology to provide increased protection in high and low temperature applications, providing continuous protection for all driving conditions, styles and temperatures. Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 is suitable for petrol engines, direct and indirect injection engines, LPG and CNG cars, light commercial vehicles and 4WDs. Meets and exceeds API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 requirements. Now with ultra refined molecules for protection you can see, hear and feel. * As tested against the industry Sequence IVA wear test.
Service Refill Capacity: 6.2* Litres.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It says above that the magnatec oil basically stays or "clings like a magnet" onto critical engine parts after the engine is switched off so that on the next startup,the engine is still protected until the oil pressure comes up. If this is the case, then would the dirt and crap that the oil has collected and suspended, also stick to critical parts causing extra wear?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
i'd steer clear of fully synthetic for an engine of that age. you'll probably end up with oil leaks from the rear main seal.

Inheat90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS series 2
I use penrite 10 tenths full syn 10w/40 in mine..expensive but worth it use to run castrol 10w60 but fuel consumption and noise was woeful.. Now its whisper quiet can't even hear the engine now..the only noise now comes from the back end lol...