Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reconditioned 308's still sold?

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi all, long time no see.

Is it possible to get a reconditioned mild 308 (in Perth)? I've frankly never been on the hunt for an engine, so I'm unsure if anyone sells them in a mild reconditioned state (other than GEM). Either turbo or trimatic pattern block. I'm unsure if there are no options and I'm going to end up trawling gumtree. Googling so far hasn't produced many answers.

Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
What car for? Generally it's a case of having yours reconditioned. Gem is probably one of the main reasons there are so many .060 blocks out there as they had a tendency to go straight for the maximum overbore to save time when boring multiple blocks at once - time saved in setting up tooling and matching parts etc.

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Hi, VH. Currently has a 2.85L with a dead gearbox.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi all, long time no see.

Is it possible to get a reconditioned mild 308 (in Perth)? I've frankly never been on the hunt for an engine, so I'm unsure if anyone sells them in a mild reconditioned state (other than GEM). Either turbo or trimatic pattern block. I'm unsure if there are no options and I'm going to end up trawling gumtree. Googling so far hasn't produced many answers.

Cheers

You would be better off looking at an injected 5L if you want to go the 304/308 path, more power, better drivability. If your trying to keep it period correct I would start my contacting local engine builders and machine shops for a blue 308 out of either a VH or WB etc. If out of the WB I believe you will need to do a sump and pickup swap.

cheers
Scott