Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

red 202 balancer wobble

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 Holden HQ UTE red 202 auto
you would know if it was a hottie it would rev to 6500 rpm or more and be cammie down low what revs are you pulling at 100k's? Why didn't it get a new balencer when it got rebuilt?unless your reving **** out of it a standard balencer will be fine
Its an auto, no rev gauge, but it sure does rev high and quick, its in good condition so my guess is it was replaced but when installing the power steering pully they stripped the bolts.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Its an auto, no rev gauge, but it sure does rev high and quick, its in good condition so my guess is it was replaced but when installing the power steering pully they stripped the bolts.
Im confused now no idea what your asking is it a stranded balencer that come off it ? Are we talking about a red motor with reving high and quick?
As I've said many times before after I drove my mums new Avalon I gave up on any hot old holden 6 compared to modern tek the red motor is a dinosaur that doesn't rev. My vk was running a pretty mean crow cam and had a high stall I was gutted after I drove mums camry (v6 toyota it might be an avolon) the vk didn't have hope in hell against it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Only three on mine haha, it turns out that I do indeed need new bolts and a new balancer, I'll ask around if there are any for cheap, or else I'll tap then all, what size but do you think is good? Supercheap have some don't they?
Get the new balancer from repco or bursons, and while there, get the bolts to suit the balancer.
The bolts will be same as you are already using so take one to match if you can.
If they don't have them, simply go to a fastener supplies.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get the new balancer from repco or bursons, and while there, get the bolts to suit the balancer.
The bolts will be same as you are already using so take one to match if you can.
If they don't have them, simply go to a fastener supplies.
The standard bolts are m10 x 1.5 x 20mm, I'm just gonna thread them to m12 x 1.5 so far autobarn only has 35mm instead of 20mm, I don't know what repco has because they don't bloody put anything on there website.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im confused now no idea what your asking is it a stranded balencer that come off it ? Are we talking about a red motor with reving high and quick?
As I've said many times before after I drove my mums new Avalon I gave up on any hot old holden 6 compared to modern tek the red motor is a dinosaur that doesn't rev. My vk was running a pretty mean crow cam and had a high stall I was gutted after I drove mums camry (v6 toyota it might be an avolon) the vk didn't have hope in hell against it.
Why would you compare a design that came way before the 1950s to a modern 3.5l v6 engine? Its like comparing a ford flathead v8 to a LS engine. And yes I'm talking about the red 202, it revs it's ass off without any issues, its also been proven again and again that whether its a 179, 186 or 202 it means nothing they all rev about the same, all I'd say is the 179 revs quicker then the 202 but it dosnt mean the 202 can only be revved at 5000rpm. I'd say the 202 was a excellent engine in its time, still is a good engine, it's tough as hell, there ain't much six's making loops around there v8 conterparts on the tracks.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
you were tossing off about it reving hard then you say its not a hottie which is it? I stated that I gave up tryin to hot up the old holden 6 long ago.
You version of rev its arse off is different to mine 5200 is about valve bounce for a stocky from memory they stop making power at about 4300 4500 , the only reason I asked as when i had a hot holden 6 once I wasted a heap of money on a balencer like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-6...ANCER-161-179-186-202-RED-64291-/130720967784 after breaking 3 standard balencers in a month one went thru the radiator

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Camry ? Avalon ? When did we start discussing clocks on JC forum ?
edit.. Just looked it up, turns out Camry and Avalon are names of cars, how about that.
edit 2.. Come to think of it, neighbour had a Camry, he got me to drive it to listen to a knock.
I gave it back to him with a card for the local scrap dealer.

Reaction score
Members Ride
you were tossing off about it reving hard then you say its not a hottie which is it? I stated that I gave up tryin to hot up the old holden 6 long ago.
You version of rev its arse off is different to mine 5200 is about valve bounce for a stocky from memory they stop making power at about 4300 4500 , the only reason I asked as when i had a hot holden 6 once I wasted a heap of money on a balencer like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-6...ANCER-161-179-186-202-RED-64291-/130720967784 after breaking 3 standard balencers in a month one went thru the radiator
Mate that's $300+ haha, I just got the cheapest one I can find, $129 from power something I forgot the name of it. Im not gonna spend $300 on a balancer, I'm going to be putting a 304 or 308 if I can find a cheap one when I get my full licence, and I'll throw the 202 in a buggy or a cheap frame that's for sale.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I'd better throw my piston popping 202 in the bin....Mine stops pulling at 6,300 RPM....I've revved it to 7,500 RPM in 3rd gear and didn't manage to valve bounce it or throw a balancer in the process.

And don't compare 2003 ish V6 motor against a 1971 6 cyl motor....Technology is miles apart...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To the OP....The problem would have been the top section of the balancer.....The top and centre sections are held together with a rubber (per say).....It is a common problem for the 2 pieces to "seperate", causing the wobble you describe, especially with age....It also allows the timing mark on the balancer to move from it's original position, when the balancer was made, which can be fun, when re-checking the timing.

Providing you're just using the motor for general driving duties, just walk into any autoparts store and buy a new one....The bolts you currently have should go straight in...