Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

red 202 balancer wobble

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To the OP....The problem would have been the top section of the balancer.....The top and centre sections are held together with a rubber (per say).....It is a common problem for the 2 pieces to "seperate", causing the wobble you describe, especially with age....It also allows the timing mark on the balancer to move from it's original position, when the balancer was made, which can be fun, when re-checking the timing.

Providing you're just using the motor for general driving duties, just walk into any autoparts store and buy a new one....The bolts you currently have should go straight in...

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 Holden HQ UTE red 202 auto
To the OP....The problem would have been the top section of the balancer.....The top and centre sections are held together with a rubber (per say).....It is a common problem for the 2 pieces to "seperate", causing the wobble you describe, especially with age....It also allows the timing mark on the balancer to move from it's original position, when the balancer was made, which can be fun, when re-checking the timing.

Providing you're just using the motor for general driving duties, just walk into any autoparts store and buy a new one....The bolts you currently have should go straight in...
You need to read the entire Convo. Nothing wrong with the balancer but the stripped threads, I literally just did the timing and set it to 8 degrees, checked for tdc and was perfect, the only problem is the bolts have no thread to tighten the power steering pully so it wobbles. I have already bought new bolts and a new balancer but will try threading the balancer that's already on there and save the new balancer for later.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You need to read the entire Convo. Nothing wrong with the balancer but the stripped threads, I literally just did the timing and set it to 8 degrees, checked for tdc and was perfect, the only problem is the bolts have no thread to tighten the power steering pully so it wobbles. I have already bought new bolts and a new balancer but will try threading the balancer that's already on there and save the new balancer for later.

I did read the entire thread.....Bolting a pulley onto a balancer that has the outer section loose can give the illusion that the pulley is wobbling, when in actual fact, the outer ring of the balancer has moved outwards.

The fact that your timing mark hasn't moved doesn't mean that the outer ring hasn't moved outwards, as well. Just means that it hasn't slipped on the inner ring, causing the timing mark to move on the balancer, which does occur

Hopefully re-threading the balancer will solve the problem of the pulley bolting on properly with the 3 attaching bolts. This thread can also be useful for others that might strike a similar problem, but the cause being the outer ring moving on the inner ring