Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red vb project

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Exhaust was fitted by Dandy Exhaust. Very happy with the end result.

I have an unregistered vehicle permit so have been able to take it for a run. It has a few problems to sought out.

The brakes after a while start to bind up harder and harder. All 4 wheels get very hot after 10 minutes or so. The only thing I can put it down to is the booster. Can any one help?

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I assume the VB did have rear drums ?
when you put the VN disc rear on, did you replace the master cylinder with a rear disc brake master cylinder ? The drum brake master cylinder has a one way/residual valve built into the rear circuit which will cause rear discs (if fitted) to drag.

not sure about what would cause the fronts to drag on though - maybe the pistons in the front calipers are binding ? Might be worth doing a rebuild on all your calipers and use the correct master cylinder if you aren't already doing so.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Right The VB had rear drums. I understand that the master cylinder is a 1 " from a VN V8 the same car the the diff/dics come from. Can you tell the difference?

Attachments

• VBred016.jpg
    VBred016.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 324

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Thanks Mate. I have put a lot of time effort and money into it.

After I have finished it mechanically and get it on the road I will tidy up the interrior a bit and give it a fully respray.

Hopefully fix the brakes on the weekend. I will overhaul the calipers and re bleed it.

I tracked down a T5 to VB speedo cable from CRS for $88.

I aim to get it engineered and on the road by Christmas to drive to Queensland.

I broke my foot on the weekend so that might slow me down a bit.

Pete.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Right The VB had rear drums. I understand that the master cylinder is a 1 " from a VN V8 the same car the the diff/dics come from. Can you tell the difference?

yeah that looks like a VN onward master cylinder, so it would be for disc rear.
might have to rebuild the calipers. Strange how all the brakes seem to be dragging though. Not uncommon for one caliper to drag but all 4 seems unlikely. But not much else that can cause it

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Yeh all 4 wheels are hot.

What I will do is take it for another run and jack it up to see what wheels are dragging. Maybe it is only the rears.

Anyway I have to sort it out this weekend.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
bled the brakes again with a different brake fluid and problemis solved.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Sweet, so what's left till rego? and could we have some pics of the whole car please? Good work mate! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sorry if you've already said this, but did you use the whole new diff or did you use half of the vb/vk tailshaft? If you did, did you get a vk tailshaft to fit it?

Last edited: