Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remapping VN ecu

Itsva good idea

• Heck yea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F$@K yea

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
My old VN did a best of 6.9/100km when driven like a nanna. Driving like I normally do it was around the 10.5/100 and all that was on 91 with my tune in it.

Stock VN with stock tune will not make more power with 98, if it does it indicates there are issues with the engine which the higher octane fuel is masking.

Running leaded fuel will kill the O2 sensor eventually and considering the age of the car I'm not surprised the O2 sensor was dead. If I'm not mistaken, VN's had a 1 wire O2 sensor, at the very least I'd fit a 2 wire and earth it back to the block rather than relying on the O2 sensor earthing via the exhaust system/manifold.

Early VN's are up to about 1990. Where is the thermostat housing on your motor? If it's at the back then it's an early series motor.

I ordered a replacement and they sent a two wire one and I hooked that up and it didn’t work so I told them and they sent a replacement one wire that kinda works

Thermostat is on the front

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What I'm confused about is you used to get 10LPH. Now you get 15-16LPH, yet you are blaming it on the tune that unless has been messed with won't change?? It sounds like you have more than one failed component, FPR could be faulty as mentioned, O2 probably faulty even if it is new. I had a faulty one sent to me. Had another sent the same as replacement and no more issues. You might even have a faulty temp sensor. You might need a new air filter. You might need new plugs and leads. You might have dodgy injectors......

Reaction score
Members Ride
So its guzzeling shitloads of fuel something is wrong with it.
What fuel does the book say to run it on ? My mate is one of those you must use 98 tossers to shut him up heaps of times ive put 91 in on the way where ever we are going and 98 on the way back and noticed no power difference and got no more economy then his come back is 98 is cleaner and the injectors will last longer which makes me laugh as he seams to change cars everytime the ashtray is full.
Its had new plugs and leads of course?
Fault codes?
Go through the ignition system check the fuel pressure a dud fuel pressure reg once took me 3 months to find . Its vn get yourself a copy of this book
https://www.automotobookshop.com.au...-engine-repair-service-workshop-manual-vol-3/

No idea what the book says
It had an msd ignition in it when I got it but that died and I put a vx one in it
It also has 10 mm leads... well 5 10mm leads and 1 7mm lead
Maybe that’s got something to do with something
It also has pacemaker extractors
And it had a poddy, which I replaced with a stock one
When I plant it it goes hard and on a wet road I can hold the brake and put a little throttle it’ll spin a wheel (single pegger)

No current fault codes

As mentioned earlier running a Vn too lean will burn out the valves and Piston tops,factory setting on the ECU is very close to the optimal fuel setting for that Motor/Cam/Compression.
My series 11 Vn has a light Brown exhaust colour,i run it on E10,i don't know if the Stainless exhaust has anything to do with it.
My 2012 VE SW always has a Black sooty exhaust no matter what fuel i use,91-95-98,and whether its short trips or long.

If it’s too far leaned it will burn valves
But I’m not that stupid

Reaction score
Members Ride
What I'm confused about is you used to get 10LPH. Now you get 15-16LPH, yet you are blaming it on the tune that unless has been messed with won't change?? It sounds like you have more than one failed component, FPR could be faulty as mentioned, O2 probably faulty even if it is new. I had a faulty one sent to me. Had another sent the same as replacement and no more issues. You might even have a faulty temp sensor. You might need a new air filter. You might need new plugs and leads. You might have dodgy injectors......

No I get 6-7
I’m not blaming a tune, I want to change it
I’m looking at new plugs and leads

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You get 6-7 litres per hundred??? Well mate you don't need to change a thing a lot of 4cyls don't get that.

I don't get it?? You were saying you want to change the tune because your fuel consumption was too high? Now you have changed your mind and want a retune, just because you can??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
You get 6-7 litres per hundred??? Well mate you don't need to change a thing a lot of 4cyls don't get that.

I don't get it?? You were saying you want to change the tune because your fuel consumption was too high? Now you have changed your mind and want a retune, just because you can??

Km to a liter

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best start a fresh and say exactly what you want to work out and what you want to achieve. Because you start off with one thing then went to something else and your initial question has been lost in translation.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Best start a fresh and say exactly what you want to work out and what you want to achieve. Because you start off with one thing then went to something else and your initial question has been lost in translation.

I want to know how to remap my fuel so it uses less
Regardless of what damage it does to my engine