Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remote key module

sharks vs commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
just wanting to know do you have to get the remote key programmed again as i have been told you do any information would be helpful thanks. as i replaced the remote key module sun load yesterday and it is still not working so i am now thinking it is the computer thanks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
check for voltage at plug connector to remote receiver
yb95 orange/black wire constant 12v
brown/green wire ground
yellow is data
replacing the receiver does not involve programming
if central locking stopped when windscreen was replaced should be a simple fix
dont understand why holden would fit a new bcm without confirming cause
with tech 2 mechanic can operate central locking
and test remote receiver

Gordon VZ ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute commodore
Dealing with similar issues on vz commodore, replaced BCM, key fob door actuators. So now planning to replace key remote module, can’t get new one so have bought second hand on eBay. What I want to know is does it need to be programmed to car. Or is it just a relay to BCM.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just plug it in.
This should be one of the first things. Changing BCM or ECM is expensive and should never be done with guess work.

Gordon VZ ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute commodore
Just plug it in.
This should be one of the first things. Changing BCM or ECM is expensive and should never be done with guess work.
Unfortunately everyone I spoke to told me to replace BCM because it was a common fault with them. Been having issues with it locking and unlocking for a few years now. When I first bought car passenger side wouldn’t lock or unlock with key, replaced actuator and fixed problem for awhile. Problem came back periodically with both doors, replaced dodgy looking key fob. Didn’t make any difference then had to replace driver side door mechanism and actuator. Still had issues periodically then three weeks ago key fob stopped working completely. So was recommended to me I needed to replace BCM. Found what was probably the last new one so I bought it. Next day the bloody thing started working again every day this week.I paid for the new one on Monday had it fitted and programmed today along with new key fob. Was all good until just after he left and now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Rang him back up and by the time he turned around and came back it was working again. Been trying it periodically and it either is or isn’t working. He messaged me earlier and said it could be the receiver. So I’ll just try that. First time anyone even mentioned the bloody receiver. We’ve corresponded before synergy I should get a hold of you in future before I do anything. Cheers mate

Gordon VZ ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute commodore
My ride
IMG_1316.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately everyone I spoke to told me to replace BCM because it was a common fault with them. Been having issues with it locking and unlocking for a few years now. When I first bought car passenger side wouldn’t lock or unlock with key, replaced actuator and fixed problem for awhile. Problem came back periodically with both doors, replaced dodgy looking key fob. Didn’t make any difference then had to replace driver side door mechanism and actuator. Still had issues periodically then three weeks ago key fob stopped working completely. So was recommended to me I needed to replace BCM. Found what was probably the last new one so I bought it. Next day the bloody thing started working again every day this week.I paid for the new one on Monday had it fitted and programmed today along with new key fob. Was all good until just after he left and now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Rang him back up and by the time he turned around and came back it was working again. Been trying it periodically and it either is or isn’t working. He messaged me earlier and said it could be the receiver. So I’ll just try that. First time anyone even mentioned the bloody receiver. We’ve corresponded before synergy I should get a hold of you in future before I do anything. Cheers mate
Of course they do but there is an entire world of diagnostics. I’m really into it and it’s amazing how the whole industry is about parts swapping and doing the equivalent of “Doctor I have a headache. - Doctors says well let’s cut your head off, we’ll do major brain surgery and then see your head back on.” What if the headaches were caused by something below the head?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
A great example of what is actually involved to diagnose network issues is this guru of diagnostics

Doing this sort of work is the real way to solve a problem rather than asking someone what’s wrong. Oh just change the cars brain based on no evidence.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
does it need to be programmed to car.
No,
It’s Plug and Pray !

For the Adventra,
When I purchased the Adventra I replaced the batteries in the Key Heads due to low signal range,
And still the same issue of the signal was low range,
and would only work while holding the key close to the centre of the dash/windscreen,
and it’s operation was also intermittent,

I then replaced the Receiver unit with a S/Hand one, and both keys started working perfectly.
The rest is history.

I did a thread on this fault after I found the cause.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
A great example of what is actually involved to diagnose network issues is this guru of diagnostics

Doing this sort of work is the real way to solve a problem rather than asking someone what’s wrong. Oh just change the cars brain based on no evidence.
I enjoy watching a Guru at work ;)