Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remote key

N

nigel76

:bang: Have pulled key apart.
Need to know if i remove battery to replace it will the key need to be reprogrammed...... if so does anyone know how to program????

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
No it doesn't need to be reprogrammed....I changed the battery on mine with no problems. On the VS the battery is electrically welded to tags which have to be cut and a new battery soldered to the tags. I think the VR is of a simpler design and the battery just slips or clips in.

broomie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yeah Mate As soon as you pull the key apart the transponer head looses it's memory and has to be re programed by a locksmith or a holden dealer, Being a locksmith i see this reguarly. A new transponder head can cost between $50 and $90 Coded to your car

sillybilly205

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs statesman 5.0
im a locksmith and i can program em :)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
broomie21 said:
Yeah Mate As soon as you pull the key apart the transponer head looses it's memory and has to be re programed by a locksmith or a holden dealer, Being a locksmith i see this reguarly. A new transponder head can cost between $50 and $90 Coded to your car

provided the battery hasnt been completely flat for ages no it wont loose its memory

Rob

K

Konker

ok stop paying holden millions. if you dont have a totaly flat battery for ages your swet. mem keeps for 6 months. and to reprogramme to car: put key in ignition. turn to "on" position and hold the "door" button for three seconds and start car. were gonna charge me $93 bucks to do the same.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
this talk of putting the key in & turning it on will NOT reprogram your key, it will only MAYBE re synch the rolling codes, and dont forget that by opening the case you are open to the possibility of moisture getting into it killing it completely, then youre stuffed, car goes into "tennis shoe mode" (you walk)

Rob

KILLERVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
So then the verdict is take it to your holden dealer and get it replaced there?

I went to autobarn today and they didn't want to know about it (said they've tried too many times, taken off screws but can't even get the black plastic part apart) so is this going to be a costly experience or what? :confused:

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hmm... I took my VR key apart for fun when I got the car, took the batteries out and had a general look around. It works fine I didn't even think anything of it.

It's a series I though, maybe that's got something to do with it?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yes the original VR key has a replaceable battery

Rob