Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removal of Battery From the rear Left Quater Panel

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm going directly to the battery like I have done on my other cars. When you do this always use a correct size fast blow fuse.

ELM327 Cable - Holden OBD2 Diagnostic Scantool

I have cars that sit for months and in some cases a year or more at a time and I use the terminals in the engine bay as it is much easier to run the leads out under the front of a closed bonnet then an opened boot lid.

I use the fronts as well if a jump start is needed and so did the mobile battery fellow when my wife needed him a few times because of the power drain issue suffered by the early Calais V’s.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I have cars that sit for months and in some cases a year or more at a time and I use the terminals in the engine bay as it is much easier to run the leads out under the front of a closed bonnet then an opened boot lid.

I use the fronts as well if a jump start is needed and so did the mobile battery fellow when my wife needed him a few times because of the power drain issue suffered by the early Calais V’s.
Who said an open boot lid?
The waterproof connector for this car will be under the rear of the car and in the corrugations of the plastic bath that houses the spare tyre (all i have to do is bend down lift the door with my finger and with the same finger plug it in). All my other toys have it in the front inner guard as it suits the cars entry in the garage and the location of the power points and projector charger. The VF will be reversed into the garage for ease (rear battery)and it suits the power point and the projector charger dedicated to the VF.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well today I wired the VF for use with a projector batter charger. The Charging port is on the rear of the Spare Tyre bath and all wiring is supported with cable tie stick on pads and double insulated where needed. I also added a in line 10 amp fuse just in case but the way this is wired is the same that I have wired my other cars and the only difference is the water proof spring loaded charger point is under the car not in the inner front guards like the other cars. I decided to put the charging point here due to the location of the battery and connected it directly to the battery away from the current leakage detecting devices either side of the battery.

The Spare wheel fits around the connector with no problems.

Cables running up the top rear of the car and are double insulated where needed and secured where possible.

Double insulation where needed. Notice the in line fuse on the right. Double insulated where needed.

Projector Battery charger on the wall with its power point same as the other cars.

Projector Battery Charger Plugged in and working. Yes spring loaded door keeps the door close when not in use with the help of a Stainless steel spring. The fitting has also been sealed.

Easy job No dramas and no tears. No Bombs Exploding, the Ejection seat did not eject me when I reconnected the battery, no alarm going mad, no flashing lights all I did was connect the POSITIVE first followed by the NEGATIVE and all was as quiet as a mouse.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Once you understand how to dismantle anything it becomes a breeze. I like to thank the Member who told me to just pull the side trim to one side as the side trim did not want to disconnect itself from the trim that is behind the rear passengers side seat.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Congratulations on a very neat installation. Nice, clear photos, too. I'm glad for your sake the ejector seat didn't go off! :)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Congratulations on a very neat installation. Nice, clear photos, too. I'm glad for your sake the ejector seat didn't go off! :)

The Charger just Automatically shut itself off being fully charged.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
So how do you disconnect the battery and take it out?

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
I notice that the battery secured differently to my series 2 sportwagon, it's secured with a steel bracket, not a strap like pictured.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The waterproof connector for this car will be under the rear of the car and in the corrugations of the plastic bath that houses the spare tyre (all i have to do is bend down lift the door with my finger and with the same finger plug it in). All my other toys have it in the front inner guard as it suits the cars entry in the garage and the location of the power points and projector charger. The VF will be reversed into the garage for ease (rear battery)and it suits the power point and the projector charger dedicated to the VF.

Well you’ve got it easy as my battery is behind the passenger seat and you have to be a contortionist just to see it let alone work on it.

Thumps up for the nice install for the charger.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS

Reading this thread reminded me of a TAFE Electronics teacher I had back in the early 70's. He had an old Jaguar, and I mean old in the 70's - pretty sure it was a fifties Jaguar. He added a battery charger to his Jag (the battery charger itself was installed in the car so he would plug in 240V power cord to car to charge. I can't remember what he used for power socket on the car or where he installed it). Also as I was reading the thread I assumed battery fixing in the VF would be the same as a VE, but looking at the pics with the battery webbing type strap rather than metal clamps it is different. The VE bracket also has a hole for the power accessory socket, so if want a 12Volt power socket in the boot, the metal work is all there in the VE. I guess that's why Holden list a power socket for a VE at about $30, but for a VF it's $60 or more.