Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removal of steering wheel with air bag

tk55

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 vt berlina
i have a different opinion regarding the air-bag. what's the difference between driving a car originally did not have an air-bag to one with it removed? nothing.....

so if you don't care about the extra safety the air-bag provides, you can remove it. this is ofcourse provided that it doesn't make the car "un-roadworthy" (only by law) :)

btw how sure are you guys in sayinhg that it will make the car un-roadworthy? perhaps it's worth checking that "fact" out, by calling road authority or those guys who do road-worthy certificates. or even checking on-line. wonderful thing about internbet :)

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
i have a different opinion regarding the air-bag. what's the difference between driving a car originally did not have an air-bag to one with it removed? nothing.....

so if you don't care about the extra safety the air-bag provides, you can remove it. this is ofcourse provided that it doesn't make the car "un-roadworthy" (only by law) :)

btw how sure are you guys in sayinhg that it will make the car un-roadworthy? perhaps it's worth checking that "fact" out, by calling road authority or those guys who do road-worthy certificates. or even checking on-line. wonderful thing about internbet :)

Anyone who removes one of the best secondary saftey devices is doing their bit to strengthen the human gene pool.

Oh, and for your information, I am one of those guys who do roadworthy certificates.

Poms308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 308
i understand what all you fellas are sayin about the airbags in steering wheels and safety and that but if some1 wants to remove there stock steering wheel why not its there choice, i personally dont like stock wheels coz there chunky and oversized, i drove around in my old vs for 3ish years and cops never once picked up on not having an airbag in the steering wheel. :D saying that my VT's got airbag lol just thought i would put in my input..

5ltvsstaty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5LT STATESMAN
G'day all just to throw in my 2 cents worth if you remove/alter something that is req for ADR youo then not only make the vehicle unroadworthy but also non compliant and in some states this can lead to the car being impounded and destroyed, does not happen all the time but i have seen it happen more than once, I think it had alot to do with the attitude of the owner to the law. Be warned for me i would be fixing the horn buttons.

Jon

smitheyes

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice,HQmonaro,,KTM530
the cars allready defectable and unroadworthy as the horns not working
which also means your insurance...if you have it. can be void if your car is involved in an accident
but thats up to you

all i can add is if your gonna stuff around with a steering wheel that has an air bag in it disconnect your battery first unless you want 2 black eyes and a broken nose

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Anyone who removes one of the best secondary saftey devices is doing their bit to strengthen the human gene pool.

Oh, and for your information, I am one of those guys who do roadworthy certificates.

oh SNAP......lol

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
You sir, are a complete idiot. You want to remove a life saving device to fit a 'sports' wheel, because your horn is broken, and you "dont like the stock ones because they're chunky". Get the horn fixed and attempt to grow a brain cell or two while your at it. :bang:

oh reece

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
he just wanted to know how to remove the wheel to fit a sports one without being punched in the face my his airbag, simple, dont feel like heloing and just wanna be a computer toughy the piss off,
i am trying to do the same thing, i got all the gear i just wanna know how to do it without being killed by the airbag?
help me!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
After reading this thread from start to finish, I cant find anywhere where this guy has said he's fitting a sports wheel, so why is every c**t ripping into him???

Well,jeez mate,its not that hard to work out that the guy has changed his post,it even shows it was edited the following month after the original post..