Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing air conditioning setup from VH

saladine1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 5.7
I would like to know if there are any specific methods for removing the air con unit from the engine bay for a VH V8?
I want the bay to look a little neater so I figured the compressor and related lines wouldn't be missed.
Is it a matter of just unbolting,unscrewing and that's that?
Any help would be appreciated.

cycloneracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L Sedan
If it has refrigerant gas inside it, even if it is the relatively newer gas R134a, then it has to be evacuated professionally by a refrigeration mechanic.

R143a gas has a GWP (global warming potential) of around 1430, meaning, generally, it is 1430 times more potent than CO2 in the atmosphere.

Australia is a signatory to the Motreal Protocol so just unbolting it and letting the gas escape into the atmosphere is illegal (and probably immoral if you believe in Climate Change).

Once the gas is out of it, you just unbolt the hoses and pull the system out, and throw it away. I doubt it is worth anything because newer AC systems for cars are much more efficient. In the future if you want to put AC back in the car you can put a Vintage Air system in and the compressor is much smaller and you could probably mount it down low in the engine bay out of the way.

I am not sure how you would get the cooling coil out of the ventilation system under the dash. It could be easier to leave that coil in there and just cut the pipes off it.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Have fun during summer!!! lol

cycloneracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore L Sedan
Have fun during summer!!! lol

In the old days, people just used to wind down their windows!
Honestly, anywhere south of say, Coffs Harbour, you don't need A/C. Brisbane in summer, sitting in traffic, I would say it is probably warranted!

I sold a commodore once in Hobart, Tasmania. I couldn't believe the amount of people that came and looked at it and said "Oh, no not interested, it hasn't got A/C."
"Um, HELLO, IT IS LIKE 13 DEGREES HERE!"
Some people....

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
ac in an old car is full of fail. it was the second thing to get thrown in the bin off mine. first thing was LPG.

Not always, the A/C guy I go to said that my A/C is as cold as a modern car - the only thing is when I use it the bloody engine overheats! I guess that means FAIL, right?

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
my was they same as ARI, 1st was Lpg next was a/c unit. Looks heaps better without a/c hole....

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
What are the legalities with removing the box from under the glove box? I took my aircon out from my VH 6cyl engine bay and the box under the dash. Now I have a large hole! About 100mm dia. For rego purposes (NSW) does this need to be covered with anything more than a grommet or plug. As in will I need to weld the hole? I intent on putting a covering plate over it anyway but for the long term??

Is there a Non-aircon box for under the dash??