Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing air conditioning setup from VH

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
i meant more along the lines of how much power they suck out of the engine to work.

Thats only the VB and early VC version. After that, never sucked the important horses out of the donk.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
i meant more along the lines of how much power they suck out of the engine to work.
Press the button that turns it off!

In the old days, people just used to wind down their windows!
Honestly, anywhere south of say, Coffs Harbour, you don't need A/C. Brisbane in summer, sitting in traffic, I would say it is probably warranted!

I sold a commodore once in Hobart, Tasmania. I couldn't believe the amount of people that came and looked at it and said "Oh, no not interested, it hasn't got A/C."
"Um, HELLO, IT IS LIKE 13 DEGREES HERE!"
Some people....
Air cons great during winter as well, people don't realize that it removes condensation as well which is good for foggy windows and sticky weather!

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Thats only the VB and early VC version. After that, never sucked the important horses out of the donk.
I remember wiring in a limit on lots of 6 cyclender vb/c s to hold out the ac compressor while the foot was to the floor. I was told that the ac steals about 8 horses.
Nothing worse than compressor coming in while your trying to over take.
if the ac don't work there's probably no gas in it just pull it all out if you don't want it.
for the amount of refrigerant I've seen released into the big bottle the small amount from a car isn't going to matter.

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
Can anyone expand on what exactly is involved? I would like to remove all the ac components pretty soon.. I had a look through the Gregorys service manual and I can't seem to find any info on how to remove it correctly..

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers kim

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I just removed mine from a VH V8 and stripped the car dash and all.There are bolts holding everything to the firewall and under the plenum chamber. I removed heater aswell . They are joined but come apart. The dash was completely removed which made it easier. I coundnt unscew the T piece inside the engine bay so I ripped the firewall back to get it out.My project car has never had Aircon so its already nice and smooth. Strange that it has Cruisecontrol but no Aircon.Factory 253.

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
I just removed mine from a VH V8 and stripped the car dash and all.There are bolts holding everything to the firewall and under the plenum chamber. I removed heater aswell . They are joined but come apart. The dash was completely removed which made it easier. I coundnt unscew the T piece inside the engine bay so I ripped the firewall back to get it out.My project car has never had Aircon so its already nice and smooth. Strange that it has Cruisecontrol but no Aircon.Factory 253.

I want to keep the heater working, just the air con that I want gone.. So I should be able to remove everything from under the hood which is connected to the ac? Where is the part where it meets the heater?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
You will find the heater is useless with air con removed. Air con makes it work.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
^^true
with A/C fitted, the fan is on the passenger side of the car, it's fitted to the side of the evaporator case. So remove it and you'll have no blower fan, which will deem the heater inoperative.

So you'll either need to keep the evaporator case in place or find a non-A/C blower fan setup which mounts to the top of the heater box rather than on the side of the evaporator case

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
^^true
with A/C fitted, the fan is on the passenger side of the car, it's fitted to the side of the evaporator case. So remove it and you'll have no blower fan, which will deem the heater inoperative.

So you'll either need to keep the evaporator case in place or find a non-A/C blower fan setup which mounts to the top of the heater box rather than on the side of the evaporator case

Is basically the compressor i want gone and the hose thing on the top, ac doesnt work anyway, so wanna remove the big visual components