Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing dash to get to AC condensor

Andrew27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon
Guys, wanting to remove dash to get to condensor as AC only works for a couple of days after being regassed and every other thing has been tried to be fixed. Have been quoted $1 000 to repair, with the part only being $150. If someone can't help online, then can recommend workshop manual that has instructions on these things. Suggest that I have to remove whole of dash?

frogslapper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
If the evaporator is the problem dash has to come out.Its not really a problem normally on that model.Has it been checked right?Does the car have dye in the ac system?Has it been checked under uv light?How many times has it been gassed?Its a 8 plus hour job to pull the dash out if u known what u are doing.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Guys, wanting to remove dash to get to condensor as AC only works for a couple of days after being regassed and every other thing has been tried to be fixed. Have been quoted $1 000 to repair, with the part only being $150. If someone can't help online, then can recommend workshop manual that has instructions on these things. Suggest that I have to remove whole of dash?

Removing the dash to get to the condensor is a little extreme to me. You will need to get rid of the dash, firewall, motor and disconnect it from the radiator before pulling it thru the hole where the radiator was.

I'd be more inclined to remove the front bumper cover, disconnect it from the rad and then slide it forward, out of the car. ***much*** less stuffing around.

Reaper

Andrew27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon
If the evaporator is the problem dash has to come out.Its not really a problem normally on that model.Has it been checked right?Does the car have dye in the ac system?Has it been checked under uv light?How many times has it been gassed?Its a 8 plus hour job to pull the dash out if u known what u are doing.

Dye has been used more than once now and they couldn't find any leaks under the hood. It has been regassed probably four times now, with the TX valve replaced as well. Compressor is fine. This is the last resort.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Take it to someone who has the electronic sniffer first, and have them check in your cabin also try someone else just in case the guys checking it arnt very good ,I had the same promblems in the past

fasamr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 ltz
in my vt i have same problem no mechanic was aable to find the leak finally one day i was checking the radiators collent and few drops went in the condensor's top valve i noticed some bubbles and the problem was the pin which stops the gas not to come out its the same pin which is fixed in the the cylinder where we refill gas, i just changed both pins and refilled the gas till today it is there.

i was also told to remove dash and replace the inner box where gas circulates but thank god i got the fault.

if you dont understand what pins i am talking about ill try to uplod the images

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Dye has been used more than once now and they couldn't find any leaks under the hood. It has been regassed probably four times now, with the TX valve replaced as well. Compressor is fine. This is the last resort.

Where do you take it for a regas?
My VT Had the same problem but i went to another place and they used nitrogen do a pressure test and it came back positive ... The o rings on the compressor had gone.