Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore 2009 Single zone HVAC problems

adios57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I had problems with my 2009 VE International Sportwagon last year.
I had to remove the recirculating door to repair the problem and replace the actuator. I eventually replaced three actuators.
In August I put the car in for service and air conditioning.
The car was showing two faults at first:
B0228 Recirculating Door
B0418 Passengers Air mix temp valve
After clearing and regassing they returned with B0253 Vent floor door. I decided to take the car back to the mechanic later.

I was taking the car to Wagga Wagga carrying a gearbox for a friend for another type of car as my older car was not able to go (MG Magnette).
The temperature defaulted to hot. I looked up some of the earlier posts and bought a new recirculating door, three new actuators and a second hand one as well.
I took the glovebox off before I left to check actuator operation on the passenger side. My scan tool would not clear the code but the reset using the knobs was tried and the two actuators seemed to work but one defaulted that was turning the air mix to heat only.

I watched the video from kor sy on You Tube several times that showed how to remove the evaporator but I realised that was the last thing I wanted as I did not want to evacuate the air conditioning system. (It would later come that the system had a small leak at the condensor).
When I bought the car a year earlier there was a bill from the prior replacement of the evaporator for about $2,000. I simply did not have the money to do it. Even though some earlier members had posted how they had turned the recirculationg door around as the two ends are the same, I couldn't trust that it had not been done before.
I also had checked the recirculating door before as I had fitted the cabin air filter. I had removed the glovebox earlier to fit the absent glovebox light.

I will try and post some photos but here are the steps.

1. Remove glovebox, remove side panel passenger side.
2, Remove cover strip both sides.
3. Remove cover plates left and at switch side of glovebox.
4. Remove screws at each plate.
5, Remove bottom panel under glovebox, pull down and back.
6. Remove two screws on lower panel.
7. Remove three screws at top of glovebox noting that the glovebox has two locating pins.
8. Disconnect glovebox wiring at connector.
9. Remove glovebox from car noting 7 screws.

Remove the blower housing on left side only
10. Remove two screws holding duct for foot heat cooling. Place in rear of car.
11. Unplug blower motor plug for speed control HVAC control 2 plugs at HVAC control in green.
12. Remove 4 screws to remove HVAC controller and put in rear of vehicle, careful not to damage the fins.
13. To front of vehicle. Remove cowl clips so cowl can be removed or lifted.
14. Remove Engine side cover.
15. Locate bolt head on firewall near a/c inlet.
16. Locate 10mm bolt to blower housing under cowl near wiring on firewall (10.33 on kor sy video).
Inside of car
17. Remove lower wiring loom clips to blower motor housing with tool.
18. Remove bolt behind wiring loom on left side.
19. Remove the blower motor screws and the blower motor with fan, it lightens the case.
20 (14 mins video) Remove screws on housing right side.
1st Upper use small ratchet, this is vertical. Two on the actuator Five screws, maybe six on some models.
21. Remove upper wiring loom for blower from housing using removal tool.
22. Remove bolt under cowl.
Note there are two bolts in the centre of the car on the firewall where the air conditioning lines go through. The larger 13mm is the one that holds the TX valve together. Unless the system is evacuated do not remove. Remove the 10mm bolt only.
Now you should have removed two 10mm bolts from the firewall, one from the air intake near the recirculating door. One from the entre of the car. If you have right angle power ratchet good on you ( I didn't).
The 10 mm bolt on the left behind the loom near the glove box.
23. Move the steel bracket to the side inside the car to give space.
24. There is a plastic block on the inside of the car where the evaporator tubes come through you might have to move it slightly.
25. Slide the left of the housing down and pull back it will separate from the right side of the housing and the evaporator will not be removed. Remove the wiring loom where it connects with the actuator before you move it from the car.
26. On removal from the car you will be able to split the recirculating door from the left housing by removing screws.
27. If the recirculating door drive is damaged on the actuator end it can be reversed.
Others here have repaired the drive end so it can act as a pivot if reversed.
28. You should replace the actuator on the recirculating door. Now you can use one of the actuators that you exposed after removing the glovebox above assuming that they are working. You can easily replace one of them later.
29. Reverse the above.

I will post the few photos and also post the sources and codes that have been referred to.

I am sorry about posting this so late but I was having heart trouble and ended up having a heart attack not long after doing this. Ok now.

Last edited:

adios57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
These are the sources:
ADAIR Bulletin 82 19/11/2013
Kor Sy Video You tube removal of evaporator.

The video should be watched several times It is very good.
I am having trouble putting the photos up. I will try and use my phone.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Great explanation of the removal !

@Fu Manchu ,
this is possible your area of expertise !

Did you not have the HVAC &/or Dash out ?

adios57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
No, I left the dash in and the evaporator. Sorry these are the photos after I had finished. No I am an amateur. My photos are too large, just show a side view of the door and the tools I used.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Turn the phone to the opposite way the photo was taken. Then screen shot. Crop off the black bits around the image. The image is now resized and can be uploaded.

adios57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
No, I left the dash in and the evaporator. Sorry these are the photos after I had finished. No I am an amateur.

adios57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Here are the HVAC Codes from the Victorian Automotive Chamber (VACC) from a video

DTCCode DescriptionPart Description
B0228Recirculation door motor circuitAir inlet valve actuator LH outer of fan assembly
B0238Defogger door motor circuitDefroster Valve Actuator LH upper behind centre console
B0253Vent/Floor Door motor circuitFloor Air valve Actuator RH upper behind centre console
B0408Drivers air mix door motor circuitTemperature Valve Actuator Left side LH middle behind centre console
B0418 Passengers Air mix door motor circuitTemperature Valve actuator LH middle behind centre console
B0428Rear Air mix door motor circuitAuxiliary temperature valve actuator RH lower centre console (Sedan only)
B0351Rear Air mode door motor circuitAuxiliary mode valve actuator LH lower centre console (Sedan only)
B1325HVAC Control module Device power circuit
B3999Evaporator Temperature sensor
B0158Outside Air Temp sensor circuit B
B0168Passenger compartment temp sensor
B0183Left solar load sensor
B0188Right solar load sensor
B0193Blower motor not operating

Some of the above do not apply to a single zone HVAC as fitted to Omega and International models. This means that a single zone HVAC has 4 Actuators. From the left recirculating door, two on the passengers side of the left console which are reached after removing the glovebox and the two left side panels of the console. The wiring plugs are green. The screws are coarse thread phillips no2 which seem to have purple marks on the heads. The last is on the drivers side of the console.

There is a video on youtube for a statesman which is a dual zone.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute
Here are the HVAC Codes from the Victorian Automotive Chamber (VACC) from a video

DTCCode DescriptionPart Description
B0228Recirculation door motor circuitAir inlet valve actuator LH outer of fan assembly
B0238Defogger door motor circuitDefroster Valve Actuator LH upper behind centre console
B0253Vent/Floor Door motor circuitFloor Air valve Actuator RH upper behind centre console
B0408Drivers air mix door motor circuitTemperature Valve Actuator Left side LH middle behind centre console
B0418Passengers Air mix door motor circuitTemperature Valve actuator LH middle behind centre console
B0428Rear Air mix door motor circuitAuxiliary temperature valve actuator RH lower centre console (Sedan only)
B0351Rear Air mode door motor circuitAuxiliary mode valve actuator LH lower centre console (Sedan only)
B1325HVAC Control module Device power circuit
B3999Evaporator Temperature sensor
B0158Outside Air Temp sensor circuit B
B0168Passenger compartment temp sensor
B0183Left solar load sensor
B0188Right solar load sensor
B0193Blower motor not operating

Some of the above do not apply to a single zone HVAC as fitted to Omega and International models. This means that a single zone HVAC has 4 Actuators. From the left recirculating door, two on the passengers side of the left console which are reached after removing the glovebox and the two left side panels of the console. The wiring plugs are green. The screws are coarse thread phillips no2 which seem to have purple marks on the heads. The last is on the drivers side of the console.

There is a video on youtube for a statesman which is a dual zone.
Hey mate please help!
Thread 'Stuck on hot or cold air 2009 Holden ve commodore SV6 Auto Series 1'
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...holden-ve-commodore-sv6-auto-series-1.300310/