Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing old cluster

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
How do you disconnect the cable thing from the back of the speedometer?

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
PULL....... think theres a leg that it clips on2 just lift it up and pul like hell, look though ur window to get a good view how its connected if ur still unsure

helps if u can bend ur wrist in wierd ways :w00t:

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5speed said:
PULL....... think theres a leg that it clips on2 just lift it up and pul like hell, look though ur window to get a good view how its connected if ur still unsure

helps if u can bend ur wrist in wierd ways :w00t:
Yeah i looked through my window to see how it was connected and looked at the other cluster, looks like that whole big metal thing stays connected to that wire thing, just didn't want to break it or ill b up **** creek...as for bending my wrist in weird ways i can't see that happening as i have re-fractured it; i believe (it hurts when i move it; getting it checked out). I'll give it a go though, if i break it can i blame you :) ?

Is it easier to put it back on?

RankONE

www.warfilms.biz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Mate its easy eh! Theres a white plastic plug clip thing with a lever you have to press inward toward the cable itself and it just slips off by pulling backward. Then it slides straight back on!!

bass_master

BASYVL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina, calais lookalike
yere little white plug like on radios in cars sorta

My Car Pwns

16 Mths Suspended Lisence
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fully Sick Push Bike Uleh!
Why u wanna remove? the how to's have already been covered but make sure u put the speedometer plug back on.. properly n also the plug at the top of the cluster neeeds to be pushed in both sides (as well as the clip in the middle, coz that controls blinkers etc and if its the original cluster, chances are it wont sit properly.. then u'l b drivin with no speedo n no blinkers..
might be fun at first but then... :whistling

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
All good the new cluster is in and working it was the white clip thing that got me buggered...it was on the underside and could only see the clip thing when the old cluster was lifted...What sorta reading comes on with the oil pressure; should it be at 0 if no oil pressure sensor; or at 5?

Everything seems to be working on it bextor...except maybe the speedo, didn't test it, i got the tens digit stuck mid point when winding the kms up (2109(78)7), so i just stuck my old speedo in.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Jules86 said:
All good the new cluster is in and working it was the white clip thing that got me buggered...it was on the underside and could only see the clip thing when the old cluster was lifted...What sorta reading comes on with the oil pressure; should it be at 0 if no oil pressure sensor; or at 5?

Everything seems to be working on it bextor...except maybe the speedo, didn't test it, i got the tens digit stuck mid point when winding the kms up (2109(78)7), so i just stuck my old speedo in.

now ur truly honest u winded ur clock to what the factory 1 said, most ppl would just left it to gain some money at sale. now i would buy a car of u coz i know u wouldnt replace the dash with fake ks:drink:

my gauge for the oil reads 5 constantly when running and 0 when motor off (i cant figger that out LOL)

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Does that bcause you need an oil pressure sender. Mine does it also.

:)

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Its a sweet mod aye, after a while the novelty of the tacho dash wears off a little and it becomes the norm. My volt meter is still stuffed but everything else is still working and oil pressure guage is like an on and off switch until you get a variable oil pressure sender fitted to your block (the wire and plug are under the intake manifold wrapped around something in all VL's)