Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing tailshaft on a VZ auto ?

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi guys

Just after some guidance on taking out the tailshaft on a VZ SS Ute - automatic. Need to replace the rubber donut at the rear.
I know to reinstall everything the same as how it came out, just unsure on the (inner shaft) that goes into the diff and gearbox...

Currently the ute is on stands with the exhaust off, After undoing the bolts at both donuts, and the support bracket, Whats next???

Thanks

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Undo all 6 bolts on the donut and wriggle it out, might be a bit tight but that's all to it. It may help to into the centre bearing bolts so the tailshaft can bend

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
No need to undo both donuts just the back one were it joins to the diff flange then the center bearing mount and then push the tail shaft forward into the box then it should drop down enough for you to pull it backwards out of the box then either feed it out the front or back of the car never done it on a v8 but took the one out of my vz wagon last week and there was no need to remove the exhaust it sounds like your just making a lot more work for yourself.

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
No need to undo both donuts just the back one were it joins to the diff flange then the center bearing mount and then push the tail shaft forward into the box then it should drop down enough for you to pull it backwards out of the box then either feed it out the front or back of the car never done it on a v8 but took the one out of my vz wagon last week and there was no need to remove the exhaust it sounds like your just making a lot more work for yourself.

I have a aftermarket exhaust, its in the way lol.
So its really that simple, so that (inner shaft) I mentioned has no effect on the procedure?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
The input shaft on the dif is held in there, it won't come out

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I have a aftermarket exhaust, its in the way lol.
So its really that simple, so that (inner shaft) I mentioned has no effect on the procedure?

No no effect at all like Richard has said its part of the diff and won't move at all when ya slide the tailshaft back and forth.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I had to drop my exhaust as well but mines an 8 with an aftermarket catback..

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
All good, thanks guys.
Hardest part was putting the exhaust back on.

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have to do this again!! haha
but this time the front one, at the transmission.

Is there anything different I have to do to rplace this donut, or is it relatively the same procedure?

poolkeeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have to do this again!! haha
but this time the front one, at the transmission.

Is there anything different I have to do to replace this donut, or is it relatively the same procedure?