Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any hints on separating a tailshaft?

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
I am in the midst of replacing the transmission on my VY wagon. All going fairly well, apart from noticing a totally stuffed tailshaft center bearing rubber insulator. I have been attempting to pull the tailshaft apart so that I can replace the bearing and rubber. So far I have tried clamping the tail shaft in a vice, and bashing the crap out of it with a sledge hammer. All this did was move the heavy bench, even with someone sitting on it. I also managed to shear the screws holding one of the jaw inserts into the vice. Has not moved a bit.

I am pretty much out of ideas now. Anyone have a suggestion? I have looked online, wreckers seem to only have tailshafts in poor condition, and "reconditioned" units are $500 or so, which seems a bit expensive. I already have a bearing and two rubber "donuts" on the way from Ebay, $115 all up. Anyone recommend a shop somewhere in the Northern Perth 'burbs who can split the tailshaft, pull the old bearing and push it back together for me at a reasonable price?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I am in the midst of replacing the transmission on my VY wagon. All going fairly well, apart from noticing a totally stuffed tailshaft center bearing rubber insulator. I have been attempting to pull the tailshaft apart so that I can replace the bearing and rubber. So far I have tried clamping the tail shaft in a vice, and bashing the crap out of it with a sledge hammer. All this did was move the heavy bench, even with someone sitting on it. I also managed to shear the screws holding one of the jaw inserts into the vice. Has not moved a bit.

I am pretty much out of ideas now. Anyone have a suggestion? I have looked online, wreckers seem to only have tailshafts in poor condition, and "reconditioned" units are $500 or so, which seems a bit expensive. I already have a bearing and two rubber "donuts" on the way from Ebay, $115 all up. Anyone recommend a shop somewhere in the Northern Perth 'burbs who can split the tailshaft, pull the old bearing and push it back together for me at a reasonable price?
Here's workshop manual on the tail shaft?
You'll have to download it. It's in pdf format.

Just deleted it. Wrong car.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
whoa there, slow down
check some youtube videos
mark a white line from front half of tailshaft, through washers , centre bearing, washers and both halves of cv joint (just to rear of rubber centre bearing)
undo cv housing, 8 allen bolts from memory
inside you will find a circlip, remove circlip
gently tap front half of cv off of front tailshhaft half (may be cabletie on rubber sleeve)
then tap back washer off, screwdriver or cold chiselnoting orientation
now tap centre bearing off using screwdriver or cold chisel
now check and double check which way centre bearing goes back on, one leg is longer
reassemble in reverse order, making sure to align white line or you will have vibration

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
Here's workshop manual on the tail shaft?
You'll have to download it. It's in pdf format.
That looks to be for a different vehicle. This tailshaft has a universal joint, not a CV.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sorry you have the type with the o-ring inside, they can be hard to get apart

Reactions: Lex

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
sorry you have the type with the o-ring inside, they can be hard to get apart
Pretty sure I am hitting the tailshaft WAY harder than in that video. I have watched a couple of video, none seem as difficult as mine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pretty sure I am hitting the tailshaft WAY harder than in that video. I have watched a couple of video, none seem as difficult as mine.

My suggestion is, seeing you have flogged the crap out of the tailshaft, there is a good chance you have got dents in it, which means even replacing those parts, it will vibrate and continue wrecking the centre C.V, so get one reconditioned for $500

Going back to 2020, I had my VC tailshaft done....New centre C.V, new unis, new uni holder in the shaft, because someone flogged the crap out of it to remove unis and dented the tailshaft, so they had to replace it, shortened 25MM and rebalanced for $650 ish...

The reason behind getting mine done was due to replacing 3 centre C.V's in 4 years...This was caused from that lovely dented tailshaft, from someone flogging it with a hammer and being a lousey shot and it vibrating

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, balancing shop said they have had to completely rebuild plenty of tailshafts because the owner thought the YouTube way was the go to remove a bearing. Some Holden's have a staked centre uni and if you bugger up the uni from using the hammer method then you're in a world of financial pain. Then you have to find a place that can do the job because they are few and far between.