Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VR / VS Statesman / Caprice Mouldings (bottom of door and middle of door)

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Hey guys,

Anyone here ever removed the mouldings on the statesman / caprice doors?

Need some tips for removing them, I believe the lower ones are definitely glued on with a type of silicone, how about the ones that run through the middle of the door though, and have the small section on the front guards near the indicator?

Are the middle ones also glued on with silicone or are they bolted into the door at certain points?

Looking to remove both but if the middle ones are bolted in I will leave them alone.

Need some tips for removing them, would fishing wire attached to a Y piece (like a slingshot) be best to cut through the silicone? or is there an easier way? Would adding a little methylated spirits or another type of solvent behind as you go work?

Any advice is appreciated.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Dunno about the stato, but other lower models have then stuck on with double sided tape and/or Sikaflex gunk...I remove them with some strong nylon fishing line with some thick wooden dowels as handles....
heat em a tad with a hairdryer to help...clean up with eucalyptus oil... still need a fair bit of elbow grease

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
The Statesman/Caprice models have an "extra" molded piece, at the bottom of the doors. Its the part that's painted silver in most cases - to get the classic "colour over silver" look.

There a pain to remove, last time I saw it tried, was with the heatgun/fishing line trick. Completed buggered the shape of the mold (its not flat like the molding above it - its curved to suit the lower door shape), and they wouldn't go back on properly, as once their off the car - they tend to "shrink"

If your removing them with the intent to never put them back on, the above trick will work - take your time - don't rush it.
If its for painting - I'd be letting the painter do it and paying the cost - will allow you to complain if they stuff it up. Those bits can't be found as spares.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of going with the grange look, hence no mouldings at all, just the side skirts, so should be fine if it doesn't go back on.

Thought fishing line might be the best way, cheers for confirming :)

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Let us know how you go. I'd like to do it myself eventually

No problems, I'll probably start in around a month once the weather starts to warm up again in Melbourne

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Cheers. Got any pics of how it sits now?

At the moment it looks like a piece of junk because the clear coat is lifting, don't have any photos. Will be getting painted in summer, hence why I'm looking to remove these mouldings beforehand.

Don't forget about the heatgun!

No problems I'll grab one, I ordered some cheese wire cutters online which I'm going to try out, I've used fishing line to remove badges before and even then it's annoying, so going to give it a go with the thin wire see if it makes things easier, if I get a scratch it's getting painted anyway.