Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Renaming Mount Panorama

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It accomplishes nothing bar pissing Motorsport fans off, so I don't see the point.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sometimes i wonder about the mentality of australians... whats so hard about saying:
"We would like to acknowledge the Wiradjuri People who are the traditional custodians of this land and pay our respect to elders past and present for they hold the memories of days gone by and their hopes for the future"

????

its not about offering money
its not about taking away "mt panorama" off the side of the hill
its not about anything else.

its purely to recogise the traditional owners, and personally, i think its nice.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
sometimes i wonder about the mentality of australians... whats so hard about saying:
"We would like to acknowledge the Wiradjuri People who are the traditional custodians of this land and pay our respect to elders past and present for they hold the memories of days gone by and their hopes for the future"

????

its not about offering money
its not about taking away "mt panorama" off the side of the hill
its not about anything else.

its purely to recogise the traditional owners, and personally, i think its nice.

Ari

You've obviously heard that acknowledgement a few times to be able to recite it so well. I don't have any problems with the mountain carrying both names, but obviously, on big race days, it will continue to be known as the "Mount Panorama circuit". Let's face it, on most days of the year, it's just a public road and the actual mountain name is academic.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
how many people still call Sydney Motorsport Park eastern creek they wont to add to the name fine but its still mt panorama

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm not Australian , but I agree with Ari , it's a wee bit of a nod to the original owners/ caretakers of the land , as a comparison , in NZ a fuss gets made of whether to drop the H from some Maori place names , it makes no difference to the way the average Joe Schmo says it , but it's a bit of cultural awareness towards New Zealand's earliest inhabitants , I'm baffled as to why some people take it any other way .

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Doesnt matter what you call it. Most people still call Uluru, Ayers Rock. I still call Southern Cross Station, Spencer Street. Suncorp Stadium, Lang Park and noone will ever refer to Mount Panorama, Wafnujfdjnfd.

So, I dont see the issue, call it whatever the hell you like if it shuts people up.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's talking about co-naming, which is nothing unusual in Australia. Great Dividing Range, Blue Mountains, the Three Sisters, bet you the Gandangara people couldn't care less what we call the lands they inhabited before us. I still call Uluru; Ayers Rock because that's the generation I'm from. Uluru being its 'official' title means nothing to me but I sure don't get my knickers in a knot.

As long as them cars keep screaming around what's the big deal?