Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

renting

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I'm in my 2nd rental place in 2 years (left the 1st one by choice), with 5 uni students each time, and little or no rental history for each of us. You think getting rejected from 5 places is bad? We would have had to apply for closer to 50 houses each time.

It is really hard with no rental history to find a place. Try talking to real estate agents in your area. We were able to find a sympathetic agent this year who did a lot of work for us and put in good words with a lot of landlords.

As others have said, you really can't afford to be fussy with the 1st rental place.

EDIT: Yeah, as Stealthy mentioned, we lost almost all our houses to families so make sure you mention the baby when talking to agents at inspections

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Agree with the dead money comments (sorry), I'm low income - $500 a week in the hand (part time, going full time soon), wife's on centrelink until she get's back to work and we're in the process of getting our first home built. Didn't have quite enough for the deposit but we're using my parents houses as an asset (they're acting as guarantors). Oh and I have two babies...

It's definitely possible to have your very own mortage on low income with baby/ies

hsv8vq

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman
vs omega im glad you can do all that congrats on the new home wish you luck .We just dont think now is the best time to go get a 300000 dollar loan things are going to change and we will actualy be saving for a house while renting we have the plan of buying land with in two years assuming everything goes to plan but now with baby on the way not to sure on that but we just realy want our own place soon so we are settled in when he/she arrives . Im assuming from above advice we should play the young family/baby on the way card lol il use the advice and call into some offices during the week thanks guys still looking for any other advice also the more the beter .

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
When we were looking at renting a year ago, p[eople where taking filled at forms and deposits to the viewings and handing them in there!

Luckily we've bought now but at the time it was a nightmare.

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
My friend had a lot of trouble finding a place to rent as a young single mum so she advertised in the paper and has found a private 3 bedroom 2 story house. It was a holiday home that they had no intention on using for a least a year or 2.

When I was helping her look for a house it was insane. I went on realestate.com.au and there are pretty much no rentals compared to the ones for Sale.
For example in the 2 suburbs (small coastal town) she was looking at there are now over 200+ houses for sale compared to the 2 (two) Rentals.

My advice if you are serious about renting is Do NOT get a Pet. You will have an even harder time.

Good luck, I hope you find something soon.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
The only advice I can give, is make sure the landlord knows about the baby on the way. I missed out on countless houses to the 'young family', not totally sure why, just assuming it was partly because i had no references (first time renting) and the young family is guaranteed centreline money, which in a landlords eyes would show big dollar signs.

Thats because its against the law to refuse a tenant a house if they have children.
For me and my missus we started out in a **** house but eith no rental history and low income we knew we had to start somewhere. Best advice is to keep trying its a high demand market with lots of people wanting and not enough houses.

There is nothing wrong with renting unlike most people some arent fortunate enough to live with their parents till they can afford to buy their own house. Some like me may choose the independence or privacy of living by themself or with their partners or also like me your in-laws are too ****ed in the head to put up with :p

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Thats because its against the law to refuse a tenant a house if they have children.
For me and my missus we started out in a **** house but eith no rental history and low income we knew we had to start somewhere. Best advice is to keep trying its a high demand market with lots of people wanting and not enough houses.

There is nothing wrong with renting unlike most people some arent fortunate enough to live with their parents till they can afford to buy their own house. Some like me may choose the independence or privacy of living by themself or with their partners or also like me your in-laws are too ****ed in the head to put up with :p

Are you sure thats law? Its ok for people to be left out on the street, whilst people with kids would walk into emergency housing?.....Although, doesn't surprise me with our government....

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
When we were looking at renting a year ago, p[eople where taking filled at forms and deposits to the viewings and handing them in there!

Luckily we've bought now but at the time it was a nightmare.

You think thats bad, there were landlords here who were fined for making prospective tenants bid against each other to maximise their weekly amount....

scorp

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY SerII Acclaim
well its late and im still running on the 5 cans of red bull so ill give you a full break down of a rental application incase you are still looking or anyone else has issues with renting houses...this will be quite long.

some points to make with applications.

generally if you seem decent the owner of the property will choose the first person who completes an application. so... how do you become the first person when there are multiple ppl after one house???? have the easiest application to proccess...when im proccessing apps i go thru and find the easiest one..i dont know why but i find it quite annoying when ive been trying to reach someone for ages because they havent given me all the info i need..

So ID give us copies of all ure id, the more the better, passport, 18plus card, drivers license, rates notice, telstra bills whatever../..dont make me call you to ask for more id its annoying..

employment details..if u say you earn 80k a year give me ure last payslip or better yet the last 4...ofcourse we check employment details since you could have just been good on microsoft excel..i usually have to contact the employer several times to reach them...make it easy let them know i will be calling or let me know on the app when is the best time to reach them.

next of kin and personal references...ok this is prob the most annoying part of applications.. especially if there are alot of occupants on the application becuase it means more ppl which means more phone calls need to be made..usually its almost impossible to contact 6 ppl during the day..everyone is doing something...(work, driving, eating, sleeping, shitting whatever)..this part of the app usually holds up an application for enough time so that someone with an application whos references i could contact ends up getting the property................soo..tell all ure references and next of kin they will be contacted and to try and be reachable....give me all their contact numbers..not just their home number (which is dumb if they work too coz im usually calling when im workin 8-4 and if theyre working i wont reach them duh)...and if theyre overseas dont give me theyre freaking number to call if im in the UK..give me the calling codes too....or better yet get youre references and next of kin to call me..

last thing to touch on is rental references...making sure you were a good renter at youre old address (current and prev)..get ure old agent landlord to write up a letter..signed, dated, contact number provided to confirm any details, business letter head..etc.. if u owned ure home and sold it..give me a rates notice and sale of contract or whatever...

ok so there the main points..in summary make it dam easy for me to proccess youre application...if ive got 2 ppl to choose from...a labourer who earns 40k a year and has given me all the info i need and has been super easy to deal with or a doctor earning 100k plus who still hasnt faxed thru that rates notice and whos overseas cousin ive been trying to contact all day cant be reachable..guess who will prob get the property?????..

one other thing...having no prev rental references can sometimes be good as long as you come accross as a responsible, clean person..if you put down been living with parents for past 6 years we probably wont even bother calling them unless you were paying board..so thats one less person we need to contact and one less person we need to wait on..

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
rent money is dead money...save for a house thats my advice

Only if you don't manage your finances the way you should.

The money you save renting (as renting is cheaper than a mortgage on a cost per week basis), including water rates, rough maintenance costs etc. should be put away into a savings account each week.

After 5 years of saving, using that as a lump sum deposit, you can be ahead of people who purchased a home with a minimal deposit and are paying off some stupidly long 15 year mortgage.

Renting is especially ideal for those people who are single, as buying a house on your own is a very expensive exercise. Move in with two friends, pay $100 a week rent and save the extra few hundred a week as you build up a deposit. The amount you'll save in interest would suprise you, particularly at the start of a mortgage.