Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repairing Leather Steering Wheel Wear?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so anyway, that being the case, its usually around 250 bucks to get your steering wheel re-trimmed if its too far gone for VRsens kit. ive had a fair few done before. theyre an improvement in that its genuine leather, rather than the vinyl crap holden use, so theyll last for 50 years, however, theyre never as good a 'fit' as an oem wheel.

most trimmers can do it. my guy here in vic is pete from unique auto interiors (03) 9402 0337

EDIT* its good to note that they fkn STINK after they get re-trimmed. there is some product that has to be used to loosen the leather before it gets stretched over the wheel and it smells like vomit... its been 5 years no and my impala's wheel still smells like vomit up close

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
its been 5 years no and my impala's wheel still smells like vomit up close

Maybe if it was used more some of the smell might have worn off ari :p

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
so anyway, that being the case, its usually around 250 bucks to get your steering wheel re-trimmed if its too far gone for VRsens kit. ive had a fair few done before. theyre an improvement in that its genuine leather, rather than the vinyl crap holden use, so theyll last for 50 years, however, theyre never as good a 'fit' as an oem wheel.

most trimmers can do it. my guy here in vic is pete from unique auto interiors (03) 9402 0337

EDIT* its good to note that they fkn STINK after they get re-trimmed. there is some product that has to be used to loosen the leather before it gets stretched over the wheel and it smells like vomit... its been 5 years no and my impala's wheel still smells like vomit up close

What do you mean by 'fit' ? Do you mean the leather 'fitting' on the rim ? Would have thought a trimmer could do a good job.

Don't like the idea of special spew smelling wheel. Thought they might smell like leather ?

Have just changed my plastic original to a OEM leather. No real damage on it, just some wear. Wouldn't mind giving it a once over to get it nice looking. There's enough products to do that to be confusing. Was going to go for a retrim to get proper leather later but not if it's going to stink for years !?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

ok, so looking at the kit it hides blemishes with a dye?

Probably look better than before anyway and I guess what do you have to lose once the wheel starts getting all natty.

fair enough I guess that's a restoration of sorts.

my memory is a little dim on this but I swear SAAS used to offer a recovering service (possibly only on their own wheels).

Also, lol Ari - vomit smell, dang does it transfer to your hands?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
What do you mean by 'fit' ? Do you mean the leather 'fitting' on the rim ? Would have thought a trimmer could do a good job

the way the leather folds around the corners is different to OEM because the leather is tougher, it bends differently, i wish a had a pic to show you, but it was about a year since i did the last one and the impala is at the dyno tuner.

Also, lol Ari - vomit smell, dang does it transfer to your hands?

nah its tough to exlain. its a leather softner so its soaked into the wheel. not transferable to skin, but you could prolly use some kind of leather treatment to mask it.

Hard part is finding the red cows for the red leather interiors...

i lol'ed heartily, not gonna lie.