Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repco returns on installed parts?

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
Hey guys, just a bit curious.

Just did engine mounts on my VY V6, and one of my failings as an individual is impatience, and since my local Holden dealer almost never has anything I ask for in stock, I head to Repco. Kinda bit me this time.

Bought some Kelpro brand mounts and at $90 a throw, I'd figured they'd want to be good. They are complete and utter garbage. They transmit so much vibration through the cabin, especially accelerating up to 70km/h or so. I thought I had left all of the fasteners undone, nope. All as tight as I can get it without risking stripping the bolt heads. I misplaced one nut for the AC compressor, substituted with one that kiiiiind of threads on (read: creates its own thread because it's a rebel nut), still the same. I would legitimately throw the old cracked ones back in if it wasn't such a job to do.

But enough ranting, my question is how much luck would I have if I wanted to return them? I know they're technically a used part but these things are just horrible. I can't stand them. Makes my otherwise tight as a drum Calais feel like a bucket of ****. And at $200 I'm definitely not happy with them.

Anyone else had any luck with this sort of thing? And apart from OEM, does anyone actually make good mounts in the aftermarket?

Cheers

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Original mounts are rubber so absorb more.
When buying cars, dad always said to get original mounts and mechanics said the same.

As for refund etc, um not too sure on their policy.
For mechanical stuff like mounts, generally need to be installed by a licensed mechanic for any warranty issues etc
I found that out when returning a collapsed shock to Auto One.
Luckily it was install by my mechanic (ex mechanic now due to dodgy work)

So yeh, can try man, good luck nonetheless

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
refund: part not fit for purpose

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I agree with the above, not fit for purpose.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Yeah consumer law in aus is pretty good... as above if not fit for purpose you can get a refund...but before you do, go over the whole car and make sure there is nothing making contact...you may find that the new mounts have caused a hunk of metal to come into contact with the chassis due to sitting higher. Maybe easier to fix before having to remove the mounts....Ive use Mackay engine mounts(and other rubber parts) in the past they have been fine..that said it wouldn't surprise me if they are the same as the Kelpro brand from the same factory in china :)

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Did you replace the original mounts with the solid rubber mounts or the hydraulic rubber mounts (fluid filled) like the originals
With solid rubber mounts you will notice an increase in noise transfer and vibrations. At a guess you have been given solid replacements, not hydraulic
I doubt that you will be given warranty on these mounts because, technically they are doing the job they were designed for.
The increase in NVH is just a characteristic of solid rubber mounts and It would be a different story if the mounts had broken though.
But definitely ask about the warranty, you just never know. But honestly, I wouldn't be getting your hopes up too high

Mackay Rubber products are made in Australia.
At my previous job I could ring for price & availability on a part and if it wasn't sitting in stock at their warehouse, they would make the part the next day and send it to me that same day. Ordered lots of radiator hoses this way for really old or the more uncommon vehicles

Last edited:

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Did you replace the original mounts with the solid rubber mounts or the hydraulic rubber mounts (fluid filled) like the originals
With solid rubber mounts you will notice an increase in noise transfer and vibrations. At a guess you have been given solid replacements, not hydraulic
I doubt that you will be given warranty on these mounts because, technically they are doing the job they were designed for.
The increase in NVH is just a characteristic of solid rubber mounts and It would be a different story if the mounts had broken though.
But definitely ask about the warranty, you just never know. But honestly, I wouldn't be getting your hopes up too high

Mackay Rubber products are made in Australia.
At my previous job I could ring for price & availability on a part and if it wasn't sitting in stock at their warehouse, they would make the part the next day and send it to me that same day. Ordered lots of radiator hoses this way for really old or the more uncommon vehicles

^ This.

Solid is cheaper than Hydraulic.
Mackay make both solid and Hydraulic. I always warn customers when wanting the solid mounts. They are cheaper, but they can expect the issues you are finding. If you were warned of it they might not give a refund but if they didn't then a refund should be no issue. When given the options, 99.9% of the time customers will go with hydraulic after the explanation. That other .1% are selling the car and don't care.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Not sure how you can say not fit for purpose.

Consumer law doesnt cover the customer buying on price alone and not looking at the specifications.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Not sure how you can say not fit for purpose.

Consumer law doesnt cover the customer buying on price alone and not looking at the specifications.

The devil is in the detail here and entirely depends on what said specifications spell out. If they spell out that the mounts are firm and may transmit some vibration then yeah no case. If they proport to be a low cost otherwise similarly (or even superior) performing alternative to the OE products then the consumer would have a strong case.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
doesnt matter if its a cheap alternative or not.
if its not fit for purpose its not fit for purpose.

filling your radiator with coke is a cheap alternative compared to the coolant, and will provide some cooling but it isnt fit for purpose.